• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) Should Green Flame Blade and Booming Blade be in the new PHB?

I really hope these spells make it in. There is so little to allow arcane gishes to work well, and these two spells are one of the few crutches holding them up.

RoughCoronet0

Dragon Lover
I believe it was mentioned that the Tasha summoning spells are going to be in new PhB, along with a few of the Tasha subclass, so I don’t think it’s a stretch to thinking that the blade cantrips couldn’t make it into the book too.

Maybe if we are lucky we could even get a few more of these gish style cantrips with different element/effects as well to give us more options. I already have a lot of Homebrew options for that so it wouldn’t really benefit me much but it would still be cool to see.

Yaarel

🇮🇱He-Mage
Relatedly.

The default Paladin Smite is the Radiant damage type.

I would like to see the Paladin be able to change the default, such as to Cold, Force, Lightning, Thunder, Poison, Psychic, for different kinds of Paladin flavors. Example, a Lightning-Thunder Paladin (instead of Radiant) makes a pretty good Thor concept. Tolkien Gandolf Fire-Radiant, Death Knight Necrotic, roguish Antipaladin Poison, Jedi Force-Psychic, and so on. The default Smite goes a long way to actualize the character concept.

I remember 4e had a few Ranged Weapon Attack cantrips too, one for the Bard and a couple for the Artificer and probably a bunch for that really awkward Seeker class (it's certainly not viable for a base class, but maybe could be a Ranger or Druid subclass). I think the Bard one was like the Sap weapon mastery (even though no ranged weapon qualifies for Sap) with some psychic damage thrown on top.

Currently the only Ranged Weapon Attack cantrip is True Strike.

I noticed Thunderclap was included in spell lists in earlier UAs, it's not a weapon cantrip, but one I feel is only viable for melee characters who can cast cantrips while attacking.

mellored

Legend
I remember 4e had a few Ranged Weapon Attack cantrips too, one for the Bard and a couple for the Artificer and probably a bunch for that really awkward Seeker class (it's certainly not viable for a base class, but maybe could be a Ranger or Druid subclass).
Add some ranged "smite" spells to the ranger, and you can replicate the 4e Seeker pretty well.

I.e.

Inevitable Shot. Level 1 transmutation.
Bonus action you take immediately after missing a ranged weapon attack.
The arrow flys to another target. Make another attack against another creature within 15' of the first target.

Biting Swarm; level 1 conjureation
Bonus action. Concentration or 1 minute.
Your next ranged attack on this turn summons a stinging spirit insects swarm around your targer. The target has Disadvantage on their attack rolls.

And such.

Add some ranged "smite" spells to the ranger, and you can replicate the 4e Seeker pretty well.

I.e.

Inevitable Shot. Level 1 transmutation.
Bonus action you take immediately after missing a ranged weapon attack.
The arrow flys to another target. Make another attack against another creature within 15' of the first target.
I've liked the idea of the Seeker becoming a subclass for some time.

If the Seeking ability is to be used only when you miss someone, it should likely use a Reaction, so it doesn't mess with the many Bonus Actions that a Ranger has access to (like Hunter's Mark). It is also really more akin to a cantrip-level power, as it uses your Reaction (or Bonus Action) on top of the action you just used to miss. Here are some suggestions:

Seeking Shot. Divination cantrip
Reaction you take immediately after missing a ranged weapon attack.
The projectile swerves to target another creature of your choice within 30 feet of the first target. Make a new attack roll against the second target. If it hits the second target, add an extra 1d6 damage (of the same type as the projectile) at levels 5, 11, and 17.

Inevitable Shot. Level 1 Divination spell.
Reaction you take immediately after missing a ranged weapon attack.
The projectile swerves to target another creature of your choice within 60 feet of the first target, that has not yet been targeted by this attack. Make a new attack roll against the second target. If it misses the second target, you may target a third creature within 60 feet of the first target. If you continue to miss, you keep going until a target is hit, or you run out of targets.
If you hit a target, you deal an additional 2d8 damage of the same type as the projectile.
At Higher Levels. When you cast this spell using a spell slot of 2nd level or higher, the damage increases by 1d8 for each slot level above 1st.

Azzy

ᚳᚣᚾᛖᚹᚢᛚᚠ
I'm all for it—there needs to be more weapon cantrips (especially for EKs to feel like their their physical attacks are actually imbued with using magic.

Remove ads