• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Siege Of Bordrin's Watch OOC

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
Hey folks, I dunno how many of you have done numerous encounters using the 4E rules in PbP... but from what little I've seen, I'm wondering whether encounters might be a little too long using 4E? Because of all the shifting of players/monsters each phase during initiative, the question of whether additional attack bonuses are active due to power use etc... all of which require the PbP DM to post results more frequently during a round of combat than he did in 3E... I have a suspicion that running a 4E encounter in PbP might be longer than is truly interesting for the players.

Does anyone have any opinions on this, and their previous 4E PbP encounter experience?

And just so you are all aware... if we were to decide that combat per encounter was too long, here is precisely what I would use as the house-rule (so you can all take that into account when making your decision). All hit points for monsters *and* players would be cut in half (along with the resultant halving of bloodied and surge values as well).

What this does is make individual weapon swings and spell attacks more important, because they will be taking off a higher proportion of a monster/player's hit points. A critical hit might easily be very critical, as you could conceivably drop someone to bloodied on a single swing (or a bloodied character to unconscious). It will make healing more important, plus it will really put players healing surges to full use.

The most important thing though is that it is the most simple solution (only changing at most three numbers - hit point value, bloodied value, surge value), and which will cut down encounter length by perhaps 50 percent. And as this particular module we are running has a goodly number of combat encounters lined up in a row... speeding the encounters up I believe would be a good thing.

So please let us know your experiences thus far in 4E PbP combat and whether you think we should speed things up. If you are unsure, I am also quite happy to run the first encounter you guys hit as a regular one with standard HP totals, and then we can make a determination after it completes whether or not we want to halve HPs to speed up subsequent ones. It all depends on ease-of-play and what makes for most interesting combat. Thanx guys!

Last edited:

EvolutionKB

First Post
I don't think combats take to long. Bonuses and hp, etc are easy to track if players help out by typing out a combat block. One of the things several DMs do is to put down the stats of the monsters and let init go crazy. In a party of 5 pcs, 3 beat the monsters in init. So those 3 go, resolving actions in posting order, the monsters go, the all the PCs go again, in posting order, then the monsters. That way you don't have to wait around for init. See Charwoman Gene's scales of war game for an example.

renau1g

First Post
As long as the DM & PC's are ok with a bit of knowledge of the monster stats then it's a fine way of doing it, although it does lend itself to choosing the right attack for the monster.

I do agree with Evo that I don't really find combat to be too long but I do suggest group the monster together with 1 init roll for them. I am running a L4W game and I don't find it too long. The first combat took a couple weeks, but that's not long in PbP terms. The only time I find combat takes a while is against a solo (which I'm trying something a bit different but can't yet reveal it)

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
I had figured on doing the one init roll for all monsters just for ease-of-use, and since you both also recommend it, I'll definitely be doing it. And I'll probably also do what Evo recommended, which is get the first people taken care of in Round 1 and then the monsters (treating them like a pseudo-Round 0), and then write all subsequent rounds as if the monsters were at the bottom of the init list. That way everyone can easily track who goes when and what they do, all prior to the monsters going. Thanx guys!

renau1g

First Post
Although that's normally the way it is, I believe Defcon said we get a full set of actions for overcoming the skill challenge

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
ren's correct. The skill challenge reward (and choosing the tunnel) gave you all a complete set of surprise round actions, and then you all lucked out by having the orcs roll absolutely horribly om their initiative roll, thereby giving you your complete set of first round actions before they get to act.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads