• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E So Where my Witches at?

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
What mechanics? I'm discussing my house rule for how many of a certain PC option is allowed per campaign. There are hundreds of PC options in the game, not everyone has to be the same exact option.

You want a game where everyone is aarakroca artificer/artillerist with the haunted one background? Be my guest. I'd prefer to keep some of the rarer options as a one-per-campaign to keep them feeling rare.
A rule is a mechanic. Don't nitpick.

doctorbadwolf

when-everyones-special-no-one-is.jpg
Firstly, BS.

Second, better restrict everyone to human fighters, then. :rolleyes:

Remathilis

Legend
Firstly, BS.

Second, better restrict everyone to human fighters, then. :rolleyes:
More like, "when everyone is special in the same way..."

Think of any good powered comic book team like the X-Men; not everyone has Wolverine's healing factor even though it's probably one of the most useful abilities. You need telepaths, teleporters, energy blasters, fliers, etc. If they all have the same powers, its a lot more boring and unbalanced.

Remathilis

Legend
Counterpoint: Syndrome was absolutely wrong, and you should not take advice from supervillains who are defeated by their own creation 30 s after activating it and then killed by their own cape.

Additional counterpoint (since Dash says the same thing at the beginning of the movie): Sulky 8-year olds give terrible advice.
Counter-counterpoint

doctorbadwolf

More like, "when everyone is special in the same way..."

Think of any good powered comic book team like the X-Men; not everyone has Wolverine's healing factor even though it's probably one of the most useful abilities. You need telepaths, teleporters, energy blasters, fliers, etc. If they all have the same powers, its a lot more boring and unbalanced.
A team of aarakokra can still be special in different ways, though. Characters are more than thier race or even their class.

Blue Orange

Gone to Texas
If everyone is healthy, everyone is healthy, and has no health problems.

Special means 'different' (and usually 'better' in this context), so if everyone is special, everyone is a little less special, even if you're talking about a team like the X-Men with multiple different superpowers. (Which is pretty similar to a standard D&D party where fighters are tough but can't cast spells and mages are the reverse and so on.)
Then again the background of most RPGs is 'the PCs are special', so it's a pretty common trope. (Indeed, you'd want your party members to be roughly equally special for game balance and not annoying other players.)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads