[SPOILERS] Angel Episode 1/28/2004: "Damage"

Henry

Autoexreginated
This is a starting point for a new thread for Tonight's "Angel" episode, earmarked early for spoilers. I have nothing to say yet, not having seen it, but since I've never gotten the chance to start an Angel Thread, I figured there's a first time for everything. :)

My thoughts on the ep. tomorrow.

LightPhoenix

First Post
Bah, bastards, all of you! MIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIINE!!! :p

Seriously though, here's what I hope to see in tonight's episode (and into February).

Team Angel hauling Eve's skanky skinny bum back there and tearing her a new one. Alright, until now it's all been circumstantial but this was flat out proof she's evil. Plus she never sang for Lorne that I remember. What happened to the "no exceptions on evil" policy?

Spike getting over himself, telling "Doyle" off, and doing what's right because it's right. It's the point Spike keeps missing, and the reason Angel is the chosen one and not him. Angel did good deeds because he was a good person, Spike just does it for his own gain.

On a similar note, Angel needs to snap out of his idiocy and realize everything I just said.

The teams needs to start repairing the gaps between them. Although I don't expect that to happen until Cordy returns and slaps them all back to sense. Look for that in February, is my guess. Yay sweeps! Yes, that was sarcasm (and if you're a mod and reading this, this is where the eye-rolling smiley would be perfect, and yet not offensive).

More long term...

The actresses that play Eve and Fred seriously need to take a page from Harmony and EAT. Seriously, the actress that plays Harm is sooooo much hotter than either of them, and it's because she doesn't look like a stick. Charisma Carpenter was hot too, for much the same reasons. Of course, that's just my opinion.

While I don't like Connor one bit, Eve needs to tap his as an emergency resource, should things start to go south for her. I wouldn't mind seeing an epic battle between him and Team Angel, with him dying in the end, of course.

Finally, this is very long term, but they seriously need another female in the cast. Fred is just not that great. I'm sure Amy Acker is doing the best she can with the role, but it's just not enough. Fred is just a weak character, and I don't think even the inclusion of a stronger female character on the show would help fix it.

Her multiple "romances" are going nowhere, the growth into a strong woman that was hinted at last season has disappeared (and would be completely unrealistic now), and she doesn't have the charisma to be the group matron like Cordelia was (and they keep trying to shove it off on her). It's as if the character just kind of floats there going nowhere, much like Gunn did through the third and fourth seasons.

Now, they managed to inject a little life into Gunn, and they need to do the same for Fred. But what I would rather see is her and Lorne relegated to secondary characters much like Harmony is this season. That leaves a core group of Angel, Wesley, Gunn, and Spike. Bring in a stronger female character that can hold her own with characters as strong as they are. Unfortunately this would probably have to be a new character, but there's not much you can do about that. Personally I liked Gwen, but the special effects would be too expensive, I think.

Jeremy

Explorer
That rocked.

There are so many things I loved about that episode.

Chief among which is using some of the tools they've had that they just left lying around. That so rocked.

Last edited:

LightPhoenix

First Post
All I can say is bleh.

On the one hand, it's a Spike-centric eppy partnered with stuff from Buffy (I presume). Bleh. Bad enough we've already had two Spike-centric episodes when we haven't seen a good ensemble episode in a while. Bad enough the episode pulled most of its plot from Buffy (again, presumably, correct me if I'm wrong).

On the other hand, it's just, as my gf put it, "I think that wins the award for most retarded and pointless episode ever". The story was just terrible, the "twists" were telegraphed a mile away, and the idiot guy was just unfunny and too over the top.

Which reminds me, I'm glad they finally gave us Idiot Guy's name at forty-three minutes into the episode! I don't care if he was from Buffy or not, that's just poor writing. At least they summarized the Slayer-mythos for us and how she could be a Slayer if Buffy survived.

Bottom line, I hate it when episodes of Angel deal with stuff from Buffy in such a predominating way. Little asides, maybe one conversation, fine, that's cool. But not a whole episode. However, even if all the Buffy stuff was cut out, and it didn't focus on Spike, it was still a terrible episode.

Definitely a big disappointment.

Jeremy

Explorer
Gotta stink when your show is full of in-jokes from another show I guess. :( Sorry LP. Fun stuff if you knew what was going on. :)

uv23

First Post
I enjoyed the episode. Its best moment was definitely the ending, very somber and dramatic. My favorite episode of the season however was last week's. David Boreanz did a fine job portraying the slump of team Angel into darkness, particularly Wesley and Gunn,

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
Dunno I cracked a rib almost when Angel said to Lorne "Lorne get those psychics working on finding this guy. Crack the whip if you have to." And Lorne goes "Right! [Insert guy's name]! Whip!" and CCCRRAACCCK! I love that. ;)

But hey there's 100th episode and our favorite self-centered one returns. :)

Remove ads