SPOILERS Suicide Squad- The Discussion Thread

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
Hey- if you haven't watched the James Gunn 2021 Suicide Squad movie yet, here's a spoiler-free review and thread for you-

THIS THREAD WILL CONTAIN SPOILERS FOR PEOPLE THAT HAVE SEEN THE MOVIE. DO NOT CONTINUE IF YOU HAVE NOT SEEN THE MOVIE.

REPEAT- SPOILERS!

Okay, so here's a few points of discussion to kick the thread off-

1. How awesome was it that you had the whole decoy group killed off at the beginning?

2. No, really, they brought back Boomerang and brought in Michael Rooker & Nathan Fillion just to kill them off? I approve.

3. And building on that, the only way (the ONLY WAY) that the death of Pete Davidson / Blackguard could have been better is if there had been a sign on his chest saying, "I am a bard."

4. I don't know if I will ever hear Stallone again and NOT think of King Shark.

5. I think that Harley Quinn is ... well, I really do think Margot Robbie plays her perfectly, yet her live action roles have kind of sucked. I much prefer the animated version (either TAS or her great new show with Poison Ivy). But this was pretty good! Not too much, and the President scene was perfect and unexpected.

6. The main team was perfect in every way.

My general thoughts is that this definitely wasn't a great mass-market movie. The humor was far too dark, the politics were a little too ... political for some people (I thought it was perfect for the source material, but I've heard others complaints), and you either were carried away or weren't. I think the best litmus test for the movie isn't the opening beach scene- it's the massacre of the freedom fighters, which is perfectly in keeping with the source material, but might be too much for some people.

What I appreciated was the sheer number of in-jokes that functioned on multiple levels; in many ways, it worked like Deadpool, but without needing to break the fourth wall constantly. The whole "Milton" bit, for example, was inspired.

Not to mention the needing to pick people carefully based on their abilities (always a hallmark of getting the team together)- and who did they get?

-No one who could speak Spanish.
-Two people with the same power.
-A giant shark ... for a mission that required infiltrating a town! And another person with giant glowy dots.
-And, of course, a person with the power to control rats and a severe need for sleep. Because, you know, useful?

Anyway, it was enjoyable. It was everything the first Suicide Squad WASN'T.

EDIT- one more thing. WEASEL. He needs a spinoff. Maybe with some kids ... or ... not.

Remove ads