Star Trek Picard SPOILERS thread

Janx

Hero
All of Star Trek, except DS9 and Disco are about the Federation Starfleet. We see Starfleet people that are the Best of the Best. Most of the time the crew members of the flagship of the Federation, but then even most ''average" Starfleet people are fairly good. While not everyone in Starfleet is perfect, they are all good, honest, CLASSICALLY moral and classically decent people. They, by far, only have silly ''first world" type problems: they can't get a date or their mom is annoying.

Of course, there is a whole galaxy we never see.......the parts we are seeing now on Picard.

This point stuck in my mind and then I ran across one of Steve Shrive's videos. This one about how seven of nine was more than eye candy. Among many points, about midway in the video, he talks about the Voyager episode where Seven discovers that the crew wiped a memory from the Doctor because he freaked out over having to choose who lived and died. Shrives points out how this episode shifted the paradigm of the Starfleet folks are always right, looking on as outsiders at others being close minded and wrong by making Janeway voice the beliefs that the Doctor isn't a person (despite 4+ seasons of him saving everybody)

So maybe, part of the problem is that some folks are uncomfortable seeing the guys in the white hats be on the wrong side of history. For failing to live up to what Picard argued to Q that we'd risen up to our better nature. It's understandable, I don't want the good guys to be failing like this either. But everybody stumbles and falls. The question is, do they get back up again?

Hussar

Legend
One article I saw about the latest STP episode was that it would have been completely impossible to write this under Roddenberry and his "No conflict within the crew" directives. I think that folks that really liked Roddenberry style Trek are having a real problem with the changes in newer Trek shows.

Then again, I've never, ever understood the need to hate watch things. If you don't like a show, don't watch it. It's not like you're not spoiled for choice.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Then again, I've never, ever understood the need to hate watch things. If you don't like a show, don't watch it. It's not like you're not spoiled for choice.

We're working on that with the [+] thread rules we'll be talking about very soon.

MarkB

Legend
One article I saw about the latest STP episode was that it would have been completely impossible to write this under Roddenberry and his "No conflict within the crew" directives. I think that folks that really liked Roddenberry style Trek are having a real problem with the changes in newer Trek shows.
They were already breaking those rules as far back as DS9 and, as pointed out, Voyager. In DS9 Starfleet is often at loggerheads with the Bajorans or other factions, they make some terrible compromises in setting up the Cardassian demilitarised zone, and their own citizens and officers defect to the Maquis - and in most cases there's no definitive "right or wrong" conclusion to these things, and Starfleet's moral stance is often left either shaky or entirely lacking.

I always get puzzled when people throw out the "not real Star Trek" arguments about Discovery and, lately, Picard on account of people having actual disagreements and Starfleet not being perfect. It's like "where have you been for the past 25+ years?"

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I always get puzzled when people throw out the "not real Star Trek" arguments about Discovery and, lately, Picard on account of people having actual disagreements and Starfleet not being perfect. It's like "where have you been for the past 25+ years?"

Yeah. Star Trek hasn't been like TNG since TNG ended. In 1994.

Hussar

Legend
And, really, before that. Even TNG stepped off the Roddenberry train after Season 3 when he stopped having anything to do with the show.

FitzTheRuke

Legend

I mean, there's obviously crazy people on the internet who love to hate everything, but there's also another group: People who love Star Trek and really WANT to love the show, but for various reasons, good or bad, don't.

Personally, I really like Picard so far. I DIDN'T like the first Season of Discovery - or more correctly, I nearly liked it, and was really frustrated by the stuff that I didn't like. I don't particularly care about Roddenberry one way or the other, and I don't entirely mind conflict among the crew.

However, I really think that Star Fleet officers ought to have at least a basic understanding of effective communication skills. I LOATHE the way many TV shows (Disco 1 did this) have the conflict result from what seems like very basic miscommunications. No one talks, no one listens. That stuff frustrates the **** out of me.

Most of these problems were fixed (or at least done better, IMO) in Discovery Season Two, and so far, I don't mind most of what's been done that way in Picard.

Ryujin

Legend

When it comes to a property that you're emotionally invested in, that was a part of your formative years, think of it as desperately needing to love it but failing miserably. Love and hate are not opposites.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
When it comes to a property that you're emotionally invested in, that was a part of your formative years, think of it as desperately needing to love it but failing miserably. Love and hate are not opposites.
That was Voyager and then Enterprise for me. And I was so-so on DS9, which was more wooden than a school play. As far as I’m concerned I’m in a golden age! I’ve not loved Trek this much since the 1990s!

Remove ads