Star Trek Strange New Worlds, what did you think?

Zaukrie

New Publisher
Haven't watched it yet, as my wife wants to finish Discovery before we start a new one, but I'm excited for this. And, we are loving Discovery, even with some faults and small annoyances (every episode they are on a tight timeline, every episode they sit around and talk and hug instead of, you know, hurrying).

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Maybe. I’d have liked a line to that effect if that was the case.

There is, in fact, just such a line. When Pike beams onto the Enterprise, at about 13 minutes, 30 seconds into the show...

Pike: How are you, Mr. Spock.
Spock: Systems are all nominal, but as you know, no simulations were run.
Pike: Thank you Chief Kyle.
Spock: The main AI has been upgraded. Personnel rotation was in process. A few officers will have to billet after the mission. That includes the chief engineer, and a Lieutenant Kirk, whom I know you requested.
(emphasis mine)

Anti-inclusive content
Wow.....it was an episode of Star Trek!
Well...one small tiny annoyance at the start....the godawful windmills. Yea...yea..yea...all the current writers/producers are Green Energy Loons so they do their activism by putting windmills in Star Trek.

BUT.....well.....Star Trek has Warp Energy. I'm sure one warp core could light up the whole state of Montana. You know it's kinda like nuclear power....

And...um....Admiral April....um, he is a bit dark skined?!? Really they could have just done Admiral Cosby or something

Kyle, Chapple and Uhura......might be too much TOS characters: we don't need to recon everyone.

And I don't really like the dizzy silly blonde nurse Chapple....but I do like the new Uhura.

And I like the new Chief of Security Ripley Khan

And...so...um...they sent the USS Archer to make first contact with a crew of three? Three?!? That seems really..really..really..really low for a crew count for a starship. And they sent a "commander" and two astrophysicists? Um, why not some diplomats, historians, or some social science experts?

And...um.....all three of them beam down? Does 23rd century Starfleet have no common sense?

So Ripley is like "raise the shields!" and pew pew pew come the plasma torpedos....but then that is just forgotten about. Why did "the planet" shoot? They see a UFO and say "blow it up!" ??

Um...so can the trigger happy missile site on the planet see the USS Archer? Why have they not blown it up?

And for an important mission is this really the right time to try the new Polyjuice Potion?

And......the ye old Pike Enterprise has a TRANSPORTER in sick bay?!? Hummm....you know, THAT sounds like a good idea.....

And guess Uhura became an expert on the planet by listing to Sky News?

And...um....so the transporters can't apply an eye slave......but then Kyle just gets "ordered" to do that....and somehow does it in a couple minutes?!?

And.....for a dumb plot point.....so the Kileys watched that awesome CGI spam battle in Discovery......and...um....SOMEHOW reversed engineered a warp bomb...by..by seeing some spaceships and CGI spam?!?!?

And...um...does not Number One "let out the big secret"....now everyone will know about Spocks silly sister, magic mushrooms, and such......

Then Pike and Spock meet the President of the World and she complains about the (ahem right) extremists. Moonbat President even says "sometimes you have to kill people that don't agree with you". Sigh, Hollywood.

And the President of the World does not really seem to be phased by ALIENS at all. Guess she knew about the ones in Area 52.

This reminds Pike about 21st century America...except America does not rule the world (sort of).

It was nice Ripley was given so much of a back story.......bet we will see the gorn soon

But the World War Three example was NICE!

And guess America started WW3 with a civil war that became a world war. bet it started right after the Federal Government of the USA made a Ministry of Truth and a Nightwatch Organization.........

But the planet chooses Peace.

And the USS Martin Luther King Jr. ?!? Wonder what class that ship is?

And Starbase One is...is...is....The SpaceCraft Valley Forge? Wonder if Huey, Dewey, and Louie still work there?

And...and..and....it was a WHOLE episode of Star Trek with no focus on the gender stuff of the crew!

Can't wait for more

Hades#2

Explorer
Overall my wife and I enjoyed the episode. Our biggest gripe is with Spock and T'Pring. It felt wrong. Too emotional for Vulcans. We haven't watched Discovery so maybe they are like that in that timeline? We had other minor quibbles but we can cope with Uhura and Chapel being on the ship.

Bladesinger

Explorer
Looked about right to me.
Overall, I liked the ship, but the swept back pylons on the warp drive just look really off to me. They are not supposed to be in use until the refit of 2271. However, I do understand that Kurtzman-Trek wouldn't know canon if
it sat on its face and wiggled.
, but that is a topic for another time.

Remove ads