• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Star war RPG D20

Venport

First Post
I'm just starting to read threw the starwars RPG material (got if for free)... anyway i'm a D&D player and am trying to get my mind out of D&D and into SW the party that i'm having a problem with is Wound\vitality point and getting them back... healing so so low in the game and damage from blasters is so high maby i'm missing somthing be this seem like lots of quck deaths for bolth players and NPC's any help here??

aslo any sugestions about the RPG ?

DnDChick

Demon Queen of Templates
Venport said:
the party that i'm having a problem with is Wound\vitality point and getting them back... healing so so low in the game and damage from blasters is so high maby i'm missing somthing be this seem like lots of quck deaths for bolth players and NPC's any help here??

Yes ... blaster combat can be lethal at lower levels.

Suggest to your players that they make use of the rules regarding fighting defensively, using total defense, and using cover. Anything they can do to increase their Defense would help them stay alive.

Although Vitality appears similar to HP at first glance, they are quite different. First of all, you'll note that Vitality points come back a lot quicker than HP do in D&D. Vitality mostly tracks exhaustion and dumb luck to bring to the game the cinematic quality of the Star Wars movies. Ever notice how none of the main characters ever really got hurt except at dramatic moments? That is what Vitalitiy points aim to duplicate.

For example a blaster shot that does you 20 Vitality Points didn't actually *hit* you ... rather it came close enough to you to cause you some fatigue trying to avoid it. You might have a wrenched knee or a few mild burns from such a "close" shot, but otherwise you are untouched by the shot and will be fine in a few minutes.

Wound Points, however ... that is real damage. If a character takes Wound damage that blaster shot actually hit home and did some serious injuries. This is why mooks like Stormtropers don't get Vitality points. They drop like flies when shot at. Heroes and major NPCs, on the other hand, can engage in long, drawn out fights because they are "luckier" or are better able to avoid getting hit by a solid blow.

Venport

First Post
Thanks for the insight (and thanks for not calling me a dumb @$$ like sone would on this sight for trying to understand a new concept)

Ok: i get the idea behind VP and WP i'm just trying to undersand the balance behind it. it seems like Def is low and VP\WP are low too so there will be lots of hero deths... mabye i just need to try and play it and see how it all ends up.

also the idea of cover and defence stances seem to be nessisary... thanks

DnDChick

Demon Queen of Templates
Venport said:
Thanks for the insight (and thanks for not calling me a dumb @$$ like sone would on this sight for trying to understand a new concept

I'd never call anyone that just for asking a question. I, too, was a little confused about the reasoning behind how VP works, too.

Ok: i get the idea behind VP and WP i'm just trying to undersand the balance behind it. it seems like Def is low and VP\WP are low too so there will be lots of hero deths... mabye i just need to try and play it and see how it all ends up.

Well ... Defense is usually higher than Attack bonuses at the lower levels, so if your heroes' opponents are of comparable or lower level, they will likely miss a lot, especially if the characters are behind cover or are fighting defensively.

As with the Star Wars movies, there is really a lot of missing going on during a blaster firefight. :D

Cover, Cover, Cover.

Especially at lower levels.

Take advantage of the terrain and don't just stand there shooting. In fact, have a look at the movies for tactics ideas. Rarely do people ever stand and fight...and if they do, they usually start dropping like crazy. Lots of retreating, taking advantage of cover, ambushes, etc. Very different style of fighting than what you normally expect from D&D combat. It can take some getting used to.

Iron_Chef

First Post
I was new to Star Wars d20 after 20+ years of D&D and it took a bit of getting used to. But now I like it much better than D&D (the mechanics, like VP/WP -- I still love fantasy). The main problem I had was GMing sci-fi. There are all kinds of things to worry about that aren't in D&D: the media, big government, corporations, alien cultures, space travel, technology, communications... It requires some getting used to.

Here are links to my Star Wars campaign:
My Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic Campaign Part 1
http://boards1.wizards.com/showthread.php?t=479218
My Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic Campaign Part 2
http://boards1.wizards.com/showthread.php?t=501426

JediSoth

Voice Over Artist & Author
Epic
One thing I've noticed in Star Wars d20 is that combat can be very deadly at low levels. I hear it's REALLY deadly in the Living Force RPGA campaign. I think part of the problem is that people play it like D&D since the mechanics are so similar, and that can really skew the difficulty of the game.

My experience playing was like this: the first time I played, it felt like D&D with blasters and lightsabers. The GM was a first time Star Wars GM, coming from D&D, and he wrote his own adventures. I didn't really care for it. The next time he picked it up, a few years later, he was using adventures written for Star Wars d20 and it was MUCH more entertaining. Just a few notes on my experiences....

JediSoth

Iron_Chef

First Post
If you play it like D&D, you'll get killed, LOL. As has been said before, it really forces you (as GM and player) to THINK creatively about your tactics. Use cover, use terrain to your advantage. Don't just stand there and fight! Move around a lot.

Jedi killing techniques: Grenades, slugthrowers, stunners (can't be deflected with lightsabers). Have a squad of dudes throw grenades and set their blasters on stun (or arm them with slugthrowers, the SW equivalent of guns and bullets). The Jedi will die (or be captured, if stunned)! Traps and landmines are good too. Don't get close to a Jedi because you will die. Use remote sentry blasters (guns that pop out of the floor or ceiling of your secret base). Use droids who are immune to Jedi mind tricks to wear the Jedi down. Cortosis, phrik alloy, and other materials are lightsaber resistant or may even shut lightsabers down if struck by them. The cost and rarity of these materials means they should only be used sparingly by master villains. You want a Jedi to waste his Force skills (powered by spending VP) before he gets near you. Then, when his VP is low (softened up by your evil minions and remote defenses), you can finish him off as he is not protected by many VP, so the chance of you doing WP damage goes up. But Jedi are very hard to kill if you don't follow these tactics. :uhoh:

I've found that in SW, a 6th level Jedi can temporarily raise his Defense to 30 (18 DEX, Enhance Ability, Expertise, Fight Defensively with 5+ ranks Tumble)... and thereby end up defeating ALL his enemies eventually, even 12th level Jedi with lesser feat choices. Another Jedi trick is to get Dodge and Agile Riposte (feat from Hero's Guide) that gives them a free counterattack if a melee opponent misses them. That trick is good for dual-wielding/double-bladed combat monsters (who also benefit from Redirect Attack, another Hero's Guide feat) and single saber wielders, who get an extra attack sometimes that can really make a difference.

DnDChick

Demon Queen of Templates
Iron_Chef said:
Jedi killing techniques: Grenades, slugthrowers, stunners (can't be deflected with lightsabers).

Bad news ... Jedi can deflect slugthrowers. That was clarified on pg. 135 of the Galactic Campaign Guide.

Basically, if its a ranged attack and requires and attack roll to hit (blasters, slugthrowers, arrows, spears, thrown weapons, etc.) rather than a saving throw to avoid (grenades, stunners, etc.), a Jedi can deflect it.

Remove ads