Star Wars: Andor

Dioltach

Legend
Yup, the voices of children, no less.

This is the most evil we've seen the Empire. It felt suffocating just watching this episode. I think anyone watching this show, and then watching the OT, will have an even more cathartic experience than we did back in the day. Back then, the Empire was something we loved to hate. Now, it's just something to hate.

embee

Lawyer by day. Rules lawyer by night.
This show has gone from tense to taut to gripping to exciting to terrifying.

Every actor is delivering an epic tour de force of barely restrained emotions. Syril's mother steals every scene she's in, though Syril steals many of his own. Dedra Meero is bone-chillingly ruthless. Dr. Gorst is a somewhat generic depiction of a Mengele-style villain but scary in his own right. Even Ulad, a minor part, evokes a bit of pathos reminiscent of Brooks from Shawshank Redemption.

My only regret is that this production team hasn't done more for Star Wars earlier. This is Star Wars at its full potential.

MarkB

Legend
Yup, the voices of children, no less.

This is the most evil we've seen the Empire. It felt suffocating just watching this episode. I think anyone watching this show, and then watching the OT, will have an even more cathartic experience than we did back in the day. Back then, the Empire was something we loved to hate. Now, it's just something to hate.
It's like high-functioning sociopathy as a societal trait. To understand those sounds, to know how and why they would cause unbearable distress, yet to have no emotional reaction to the choice to deliberately apply that distress to another being.

I was left shaken for a good half-hour after watching the episode. Still feeling it as I recall the details.

MarkB

Legend
I'll be interested to see this not-a-banker Mon Mothma is about to be indebted to. Are we thinking independent gangster, or a member of one of the Star Wars galaxy's known criminal syndicates?

I'm not disliking the show, but it is starting to drag its feet again. The whole "we torture you with dying children" comes across as mustache twirling evil, but without the humor. It's just over the top ridiculousness, but played totally straight.

embee

Lawyer by day. Rules lawyer by night.
I'm not disliking the show, but it is starting to drag its feet again. The whole "we torture you with dying children" comes across as mustache twirling evil, but without the humor. It's just over the top ridiculousness, but played totally straight.
I feel like that's the sort of thing that they certainly would have used on Leia in Star Wars and Han in Empire Strikes Back.

Celebrim

Legend

I agree that was one of the weaker moments. The show is too gritty to insert that sort of magic in here and then imagine it can be bottled by a machine.

Still, the actress nailed it.

I'm likewise not necessarily liking where they are going with Syril. He's obviously lost his marbles at this point, which is no way to win the girl. I was looking forward to those two being a team and maybe attracting the jealousy of Heert.

I rank this probably as one of my bottom 2 episodes, just because it was short, predictable and we got too many viewpoints where not a lot is going on. However, Diego Luna continues to shine and his plot line managed to carry the episode. We also see that Deedra is not far behind "Axis", as she's learned of the plot he's trying to get Saw in on to provide air cover.

Remove ads