Star Wars: Andor

pukunui

Legend
Finally caught up yesterday.

Luthen’s assistant, Kleya, is more involved than it first seemed. She’s ruthless. I wonder if she’s connected to Saw Gerrera. We haven’t seen him yet.

It was good to see that Cinta is still alive and free, but will she and Vel be able to reunite? Speaking of Vel, I didn’t recognize her at first all glammed up like that.

Even though Syril is clearly bored out of his mind, I’m really liking the middle class humdrum of his current circumstances. Star Wars tends to show only those in extreme wealth or extreme poverty (or those who live apart from it, such as soldiers and Jedi) so getting a glimpse into the lives of the middle class is a nice treat. And his mother is killing it.

Should we believe Maarva about Andor’s sister?

I love the attention to detail on this show – e.g. in the flashbacks showing Clem’s death, the troopers are still in Clone Wars armor. They’re undoubtedly still clones underneath as well. Poor Clem.

Obviously Cassian isn’t going to spend the next six years in jail. Will Vel break him out instead of killing him?

It was fun to see the KX droids as a bit of foreshadowing, even if K2 isn’t going to appear this season.

Last edited:

Even though Syril is clearly bored out of his mind, I’m really liking the middle class humdrum of his current circumstances. Star Wars tends to show only those in extreme wealth or extreme poverty (or those who live apart from it, such as soldiers and Jedi) so getting a glimpse into the lives of the middle class is a nice treat. And his mother is killing it.
I got jewish mother vibes from her:

Q: How many Jewish mothers does it take the change a light bulb?

A: (Sigh) Don’t bother, I’ll sit in the dark, I don’t want to be a nuisance to anybody . . .

Mallus

Legend
So after seven episodes there's a legitimate question about who this series is for, exactly.

There's also an argument to be made that it's also the best Star Wars thing made (so far).

And is Luthen the Rebellion's Thrawn? Discuss!

So after seven episodes there's a legitimate question about who this series is for, exactly.
The intersection between people who like serious political drama and people who like Star Wars.

The trouble is, in order to understand the political situation, you have to have seen the juvenile pulp fantasy action movies [as perceived by some]. Andor cannot serve as a point of entry into the franchise.

Which highlights the limitation of a shared universe to support different sorts of shows. Also see: She Hulk.
There's also an argument to be made that it's also the best Star Wars thing made (so far).

And is Luthen the Rebellion's Thrawn? Discuss!
Given that Luthen is almost certainly toast by the end of the series, I don't think so.

MarkB

Legend
Given that Luthen is almost certainly toast by the end of the series, I don't think so.
Well, Thrawn was also out of the picture by the time of the original trilogy, so that's not necessarily a disqualifier (hurry up Ahsoka series, need to see how that turns out!)

I feel like Luthen is more in the Saw Gerrera camp in terms of where to take the rebellion, so if he survives at all, I could see him eventually being pushed out by the mainstream Alliance.

Well, Thrawn was also out of the picture by the time of the original trilogy, so that's not necessarily a disqualifier (hurry up Ahsoka series, need to see how that turns out!)
Thrawn had a contingency plan to avoid becoming dead. And a contingency plan for the contingency plan. And will no doubt have found a way to turn his abduction by space whales to his advantage*, and was manipulating events all the way through the original trilogy...

*He had reason to believe Palpatine was about to kill him, his disappearance at Lothal almost certainly was to his advantage.

Luthen is planning on dying.
I feel like Luthen is more in the Saw Gerrera camp in terms of where to take the rebellion, so if he survives at all, I could see him eventually being pushed out by the mainstream Alliance.
Luthen intends his death to motivate Mon Mothma to fully commit.

It's established in Rebels that about a year after this she goes on the run.

MarkB

Legend
Thrawn had a contingency plan to avoid becoming dead. And a contingency plan for the contingency plan. And will no doubt have found a way to turn his abduction by space whales to his advantage*, and was manipulating events all the way through the original trilogy...

*He had reason to believe Palpatine was about to kill him, his disappearance at Lothal almost certainly was to his advantage.

Luthen is planning on dying.

Luthen intends his death to motivate Mon Mothma to fully commit.

It's established in Rebels that about a year after this she goes on the run.
That makes assumptions about both characters that aren't in evidence on screen.

Remove ads