Star Wars: Andor

pukunui

Legend
The question I have is: even if they manage to overwhelm the guards, what then? How do they get out? Do they wait for another prisoner transport? I suppose there could be spacecraft for the guards to use somewhere.

Randomthoughts

Adventurer
The more the season progresses the more I feel the flashbacks were completely unnecessary. Even if the big reveal is that Meero is Cassian's sister, it's still time that was wasted. The show could have really used another editing pass to tighten it up.
Yeah, I agree with this. I really enjoy the show but the "find my sister" arc is all but abandoned during these later episodes. I assume it will be a thread that will be picked up in later seasons, or supply the zinger in this one. But the story could be tighter.

That being said, I really like the cloak-and-dagger and heist vibes these later episodes have, and how different they are from the normal fare of Star Wars. I like how Luthen isn't portrayed as a noble character (at least IMHO e.g., "people will suffer", "that suffering is needed" (or something like that). And I really like how the start of the rebellion seems pretty messy, with different factions (Luthen vs Saw), motivations and levels of involvement - from the true believers in Alhdanni (not all of them of course), to Mon Mothma and of course, Andor himself.

Wonderful show (but the beginning episodes were too slow).

MarkB

Legend
The question I have is: even if they manage to overwhelm the guards, what then? How do they get out? Do they wait for another prisoner transport? I suppose there could be spacecraft for the guards to use somewhere.
They're building components (unless it really is just busywork), so there has to be a cargo and shipping area somewhere - materials coming in, finished product going out.

One security measure that isn't confirmed as existing, and I haven't seen mentioned yet, but it's got to be there: Most of this facility, and all of the work areas, are below the waterline. If everything else fails, there has to be an ultimate failsafe that floods the whole building. Probably remotely activated.

Celebrim

Legend
I suspect the filtering by home planet is to match the inmates to the prison system - there's a distinct lack of non-humans in this one. You don't want to accidentally consign an electrically-resistant alien to your electrified prison - or one who can't get nutrition from the centrally-sourced food sludge.

My first thought while watching the episode was filtering by planet ensured the prisoners would be able to communicate and work together, which was necessary for the design of the prison. But then my second thoughts were like, "But they might also be able to communicate and work together too well."

Celebrim

Legend
They're building components (unless it really is just busywork), so there has to be a cargo and shipping area somewhere - materials coming in, finished product going out.

It's also a working city of some 5000 people. There has to be shipments of all sorts coming in. First, there are the parts for the say ~3500 harness assemblies that they build every day. Each of those seems to weigh say 800 lbs, so that's hundreds of tons per day of components that are going in and out. And even the sludge, they are probably eating like 7 tons of it per day. Assume they need deliveries of soap and disinfectant, plus enough amenities for the guards to keep them from revolting, plus all the parts that have to be maintained daily in a giant working factor complex to keep all those hundreds of thousands of parts working, plus transports for the contractors that you'll have to pay to repair all that stuff, and yeah there are dozens of semi-truck loads worth of things going in and out per day.

The trouble though is you at best would get one or two ships hijacked before the Empire learns what is going on, so maybe 1-2% of the factory could actually escape and everyone else is going to be made an example of, unless you can get outside help.

One security measure that isn't confirmed as existing, and I haven't seen mentioned yet, but it's got to be there: Most of this facility, and all of the work areas, are below the waterline. If everything else fails, there has to be an ultimate failsafe that floods the whole building. Probably remotely activated.

Brutal but logical. On the other hand, you probably don't want to flood the non-living spaces of the factory even as a failsafe. The factory is worth more than the workers in it as far as the Empire would be concerned. Most machinery does not like being emersed in water.

You know what the whole "prisoner in charge of the other prisoners" thing made me think of right away, which younger folks would not see, if they don't know their history? Concentration camps and how certain Jewish prisoners were put in charge of keeping the others in line and behaving.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases