Star Wars: reboot/remake?

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
If it did happen, and it was happening right now, I'd ignore any issues of gender or ethnicity, and cast the actors that I feel fit the feel and attitude and tone of each character best.
Star Wars never wrote its own 'deep history', but thinking about the process of going from one homeworld of origin to galaxy-spanning race plus meeting aliens, means SW society is inherently diverse.
Repeated scenes where the actors are of Amerind, Aborigine, Oriental, Arabic, Western, &c origin and the characters never notice any difference between appearances nor say anything about it, would be its own powerful statement. (See also Uhura from Star Trek.)
IRL, I would prepare a one-page "press release" describing in very broad terms what likely happened, with a little bit of astronomy thrown in. When people ask "But what about...?" I refer them to the release. Repeatedly. Don't get drawn into ambushes or controversies; they never help sell tickets.

The only two characters for whom looks matter is Luke and Leia: when he eventually says to her "... and my sister has it ..." the actors had better 'look like family', not look like their forefathers spent generations on opposite ends of the galaxy - because instead of being a big reveal and deep emotional moment, the audience will break up laughing.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Star Wars never wrote its own 'deep history', but thinking about the process of going from one homeworld of origin to galaxy-spanning race plus meeting aliens, means SW society is inherently diverse.
Repeated scenes where the actors are of Amerind, Aborigine, Oriental, Arabic, Western, &c origin and the characters never notice any difference between appearances nor say anything about it, would be its own powerful statement. (See also Uhura from Star Trek.)
IRL, I would prepare a one-page "press release" describing in very broad terms what likely happened, with a little bit of astronomy thrown in. When people ask "But what about...?" I refer them to the release. Repeatedly. Don't get drawn into ambushes or controversies; they never help sell tickets.

The only two characters for whom looks matter is Luke and Leia: when he eventually says to her "... and my sister has it ..." the actors had better 'look like family', not look like their forefathers spent generations on opposite ends of the galaxy - because instead of being a big reveal and deep emotional moment, the audience will break up laughing.
Yeah, even if they weren’t siblings you want them to be foils, and similar appearance helps that.

But again...I don’t want a reboot lol

Although an alternate version, I’d love.

Put that thing in the public domain and watch people make beautiful things with it!

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
And what do you think about a "spin-off" anything about "same universe but a different galaxy"?
so like, same physics and the FOrce, but like no ties to jedi and sith, entirely different philosophies, etc?

IDK, seems easier to just make a new thing, at that point, no?

Could be fun, thogh

Ryujin

Legend
I'm with Morrus; Space Opera: A New Franchise.

The Force isn't unique in Science Fantasy. Magic and Psionics have been part of it for as long as it has existed. If someone wants to attach the new universe to some sort of property, there are many out there begging for it. From role playing there's Traveller (only a Kickstarter rip-off attempt currently exists), the actual game called Space Opera (old FGU property), Starfinder (built-in Space Magic), and many more. From novels, EE "Doc" Smith's "Lensmen" series still hasn't had a faithful production.

... or just make up something new.

I'm with Morrus; Space Opera: A New Franchise.

The Force isn't unique in Science Fantasy. Magic and Psionics have been part of it for as long as it has existed. If someone wants to attach the new universe to some sort of property, there are many out there begging for it. From role playing there's Traveller (only a Kickstarter rip-off attempt currently exists), the actual game called Space Opera (old FGU property), Starfinder (built-in Space Magic), and many more. From novels, EE "Doc" Smith's "Lensmen" series still hasn't had a faithful production.

... or just make up something new.
From the d20 future book:
  • Star*Drive, a political space opera taking placed in the 26th century. It is a remake of Alternity campaign setting of the same name.
  • Star Law, a remake of the popular 1980s Star Frontiers space opera-based role-playing game. The mini-setting is cited to use material from Star Frontiers Alpha Dawn and Zebulon's Guide to Frontier Space. (this would be slightly better as a tv show imo)
From the Dark Heart of Space, a Fifth Element style setting inspired by the eternal struggle between good and evil, with a touch of the Cthulhu Mythos.

ccs

41st lv DM
Yes, I have. I say, move on. We don't need another Captain Kirk or Han Solo. There are other people to tell stories about.

All of the names you mentioned were literary figures brought to film. Star Trek and Star Wars were films first and foremost, and the iconic characters forever linked with specific actors. We can discuss who the best Bond is, or which version of Batman we prefer. But there is no single actor who "made" the character. Harrison Ford "made" Han Solo; so too with William Shatner and James T Kirk, or Patrick Stewart and Jean-Luc Picard.

What about Hamlet? Not a literary figure. Thousands & thousands of actors beyond the 1st guy have played that role on stage & now screen . Almost always telling the exact same story.
You don't think future audiences deserve Hamlet?

Kaodi

Hero
There is definitely much virtue to be had in starting a whole new IP. Old franchises get bogged down with outdated assumptions. I tend to think we need a new Star Trek too because a LOT has happened since the 70s that is fundamentally incompatible with the Star Trek account of this time period.

I think if I were to chart a path for Star Wars going forward though that was not just "Well, the main story is effed," I would bring in some great threat or change from another galaxy - one that broadened everyone's horizons and perhaps made the Unknown Regions of the primary galaxy eminently Known, something that would have to be dealt with simultaneously. Not the Yuuzhan Vong though - they were dumb, and their slaughter was dumb. The only way to make the make a story about laser sword wielding monks make sense going forward is if the Jedi and the Sith turn out to not be the be all and end all of the Force. That does not mean that a "new threat" needs to be more powerful or destructive than the Sith were. But it does need to introduce a new perspective.

Ryujin

Legend
From the d20 future book:
  • Star*Drive, a political space opera taking placed in the 26th century. It is a remake of Alternity campaign setting of the same name.
  • Star Law, a remake of the popular 1980s Star Frontiers space opera-based role-playing game. The mini-setting is cited to use material from Star Frontiers Alpha Dawn and Zebulon's Guide to Frontier Space. (this would be slightly better as a tv show imo)
From the Dark Heart of Space, a Fifth Element style setting inspired by the eternal struggle between good and evil, with a touch of the Cthulhu Mythos.

I've run both Star*Drive and Star Frontiers campaigns, but thought I was already going too heavily on the RPG side. There's also Other Suns and Shatterzone as possibilities.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases