Star Wars: reboot/remake?

Ryujin

Legend
What about Hamlet? Not a literary figure. Thousands & thousands of actors beyond the 1st guy have played that role on stage & now screen . Almost always telling the exact same story.
You don't think future audiences deserve Hamlet?

Put a pin in that and I'll come back to talk about that one in 400-or-so years ;)

Zardnaar

Legend
If I did new Star Wars I would try and tie it back to the OT/PT in some way but without copying them.

Say you made Star Wars:Top Gun. I would kr use X-Wings vs TIE Fighters even if the force wasn't such a thing.

If you time shift it to something like the Old Republic Jedi vs Sith makes sense.

If I wanted to timeshift it and not use Jedi or Sith I would use a location like Coruscant.

You still need to tie your story to the larger Star Wars universe. Other force using traditions can absolutely be part of that and we've seen at least one in canon, heaps in the old EU.

I wouldn't mess with established characters to much. Make new ones it's easy enough.

You don't need to know much except Coruscant is the galactic capital. If it's not you need to explain it to some extent. That's where TFA failed where they had Starkiller base blow up Hosnian Prime and 4 other planets.

Why care, we've seen planets blown up before, and there was no emotional impact like Tarkin and Vader blowing up Alderaan and making Leia watch and her reaction.

Good Star Wars needs emotion, not just the actors going through the routines. By emotion I mean something like "I am your father", Han and Leia, or Obi Wan and Vader on Mustafar, Vader and Luke on Deathstar. Carrie Fisher selling the destruction of her world to the audience.

Even you are Revan works. Mandalorian is pulling it off with the main character and baby Yoda.

2/3 of the ST movies just imitate better stories. Hell Solo's better than all 3 of them IMHO. At least it was decent and original.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
The Mandalorian was a god example of a Star Wars story that does not include the Skywalker Saga characters (or at least not in season 1).

Rogue One looked at the story behind A New Hope.

But like it was stated earlier, do stories outside of the George Lucas' Skywalker Saga era.

There is lots of possible stories that happened before Episode 1, and lots that happened after episode 6.

There are lots of stories that took place between episodes 1 and 6 (Tales of Mos Eisley Cantina, Tales of the Bounty Hunters, etc.)

Stories about the grey jedi, the whills, sith wars (before lightsabers were a thing), etc.
No grey Jedi. Ever.

Please for the love of the force no grey Jedi.

Mercurius

Legend
What about Hamlet? Not a literary figure. Thousands & thousands of actors beyond the 1st guy have played that role on stage & now screen . Almost always telling the exact same story.
You don't think future audiences deserve Hamlet?

I'd consider Hamlet a literary figure. He is primarily the creation of a playwright, not a actor. There is no single, definitive Hamlet actor that crafted Hamlet.

Anyhow, I consider it to be creatively lazy to continue to re-hash old IP and characters, and almost inevitably leads to diminishing returns.

Zardnaar

Legend
No grey Jedi. Ever.

Please for the love of the force no grey Jedi.

They've already brought them back I think. Ahsoka Tano is one iirc.

What's your idea of grey Jedi though?

1. Uses light and dark side
2. Has Jedi trading but doesn't join or l eaves the order
3. Any force user that's not a member of the Jedi order or Sith.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
They've already brought them back I think. Ahsoka Tano is one iirc.

What's your idea of grey Jedi though?

1. Uses light and dark side
2. Has Jedi trading but doesn't join or l eaves the order
3. Any force user that's not a member of the Jedi order or Sith.
1. Is the only thing that has ever been a “grey Jedi”. Ahsoka is not grey. She is firmly in the Light.

Zardnaar

Legend
1. Is the only thing that has ever been a “grey Jedi”. Ahsoka is not grey. She is firmly in the Light.

Grey Jedi can mean someone who has left the order and hasn't gone to the dark side.

I think Filoni said she was grey Jedi, could be wrong.

I usually use it in the context of someone who's had Jedi training and hasn't gone to the dark side. Ventress for example isn't one and she's not Sith (but wanted to be one). I would call her a dark Jedi although not sure if they use that term.

Shorthand for Darkside Jedi I suppose.

MarkB

Legend
Grey Jedi can mean someone who has left the order and hasn't gone to the dark side.

I think Filoni said she was grey Jedi, could be wrong.

I usually use it in the context of someone who's had Jedi training and hasn't gone to the dark side. Ventress for example isn't one and she's not Sith (but wanted to be one). I would call her a dark Jedi although not sure if they use that term.

Shorthand for Darkside Jedi I suppose.
Personally, I'd just like some kind of Force tradition which allows you to still be a good person without having to achieve Vulcan-like levels of emotional suppression or give up all personal connections.

Zardnaar

Legend
Personally, I'd just like some kind of Force tradition which allows you to still be a good person without having to achieve Vulcan-like levels of emotional suppression or give up all personal connections.

They had them but they got purged. Shrugs.

---

The first movie was in 1977. This means in 2027 will be the 50th anniversary, and after it's enough time to allow themself a reboot.

We have other option: The prophets and seers who can see the future are canon in SW. This means someones could see different futures, and then Disney could publish a new serie about these "prophets' files" where a group of arcaheologists search a old holocron with the files of these prophets. These files were created by the cooperation of the prophets seing the different possible futures, and telepath reading the mind and sending those mental images to a "holo-scribe", other force-adept with telekinetic powers being used with holograpic technology to "record" those prophecies as 3D movies. This trick would allow to be canon but alter the canon and almost nobody would be angry. An example of alternate timeline would be the galaxy for the age of the Rakata infinity empire being conquered by the yuuzan vong.

* SW is a fabulous franchise, but after the batle of Yavin (the first Deathstar is destroyed) almost all the main events in the galaxy are linked to Skywalker family and company. And jedi may have got too much prominence.

Remove ads