Sadrik

First Post
STR
DEX
CON --> physical defense
INT
WIS --> mental defense
CHA

Really the only change I want here is to make WIS less of a catchall. Limit wisdom to mental defense in the same way that CON is limited to physical defense. It is a meaningless catchall that muddies the mental stat water.

Thoughts on this or other stats?

Just a quick note to say first of all that I'm still here despite a relative lack of activity in this forum (although I've started a blog with the fruits of my efforts away from the screen over the last year if you're interested).

Secondly, I think there is a certain muddying of the water when you look at the six basic attributes (which ARE D&D for me and could never be removed) and the three saves/defenses: fortitude, reflex and will. You could almost throw in the concept of initiative as well; I mean what does differentiate dexterity from reflex from initiative. I think this is certainly an area that needs clearing up.

As for wisdom, it is most probably the vaguest of the attributes. The concept of willpower which is partially (but I think to an extent erroneously) attached to wisdom is perhaps the biggest grey area for me.

I think the concept of the basic attributes is important but not to the extent where you can talk about ability damage. I would prefer two new concepts: physicality and willpower to take over this role.

Best Regards
Herremann the Wise

Remove ads