• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Survivor D&D Computer Games- Baldur's Gate WINS!

Gradine

The Elephant in the Room (she/her)
"In addition, you must split your vote- you can't upvote and downvote the same game (no "see" votes)."

This has been addressed before.

The rules are that you have to both upvote and downvote if you going to vote.

And you cannot upvote and downvote the same thing.

Well then this is a rule that has been flouted with some irregularity for some time! At least that I've noticed. If only there existed a D&D class whose raison d'etre was ensuring the enforcement of law and order. Where would we find such a thing...

People have strong feelings about their favorite class. Or monster. Or race. Even spells. And especially setting. But this is the first time I've seen people react like, "My favorite didn't win? This is rigged. It sucks. I'm taking my toys and going home!"

I feel like this a gross over-exaggeration of the reaction; I've seen no claims of voter fraud or people storming out in a huff. Really, the reaction to Planescape: Torment crashing doesn't seem all too different from the way the diehard FR-heads react whenever a Campaign Setting Survivor post pops up for folks to get some catharsis out of their 5e Forgotten Realms fatigue. It's certainly less extreme than the way I react whenever someone complains about Eberron having "robots" :rant:

For myself, I've known better than to trust the overall opinions of this board ever since Birthright won one of the first Campaign Setting Survivors. Still feels good to gripe it from time to time. After all, as I said before I think a huge benefit for these threads is catharsis.

Gradine

The Elephant in the Room (she/her)
WHAT? ARE YOU TROLLING ME IN MY OWN THREAD??!!??!!! :)

I try not to police things with a heavy hand; as I always write, we are all honorable gamers, and these threads are for entertainment and to give us (or at least me) a reason to check in every day.

But the raison d'etre of these threads is, well, there can be only one. Sometimes you have to choose between your favorite children, so to speak.

I always saw it as less of a Sophie's Choice and more of a "I can't believe this is what we're left with" kind of thing.

It's not that I can't decide whether I love Birthright or Lankhmar more, it's more that, well... do I really feel like endorsing one those?

Oh, and speaking of Warforged (well in my last post, but I forgot to make this aside) but have we done a "non-PHB races" survivor yet? I feel like I haven't heard anyone shouting that "monsters should not be PC races!" in a while.

BookBarbarian

Expert Long Rester
Baldur's Gate 30
Baldur's Gate II 25
Neverwinter Nights 4+1= 5 While BG had a better story (much better even), NWN had such a great toolset and muliplayer that allowed people to tell all sorts of stories.
Neverwinter Nights II 9-2=7 Because I can't find it in my heart to downvote either of the BGs. Also the toolset wasn't as robust as NWN 1.

Dausuul

Legend
Baldur's Gate 30
Baldur's Gate II 25
Neverwinter Nights 6
Neverwinter Nights II 5

I recognize that one of the Baldur's Gate games is going to win. My only stake in this fight is seeing to it that NWN outlasts NWN2.

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing (He/They)
I recognize that one of the Baldur's Gate games is going to win. My only stake in this fight is seeing to it that NWN outlasts NWN2.
Yeah, fair enough. The whole Top 10 were excellent games in my opinion. I don't understand the hard feelings over Spelljammer and Torment getting voted out, but it's all good--people like what they like.

I hope everybody who participated in this silly little popularity contest will be inspired to drag that crappy old laptop out of the closet and charge it up...dust off those old CD-ROMS and reinstall them...and spend this weekend clicking their way down memory lane (or memory plane, amirite?)

Basically, voting down Planescape: Torment is pretty much the same as someone saying that they hate Shakespeare. It tells you more about the shortcomings of the person than the thing they are talking about.

The most objective CRPG truth is that Fallout 3 and 4 ruined the Fallout franchise, and that New Vegas, however fleeting it was, was a momentary return to greatness for that series.

There. Glad we got that settled. Let's move on.

tglassy

Adventurer
Baldur's Gate 30
Baldur's Gate II 25
Neverwinter Nights 6 - 2 = 4
Neverwinter Nights II 5 + 1 = 6

The only one I haven’t played is NWN 1. The Mask of the Betrayer is still the most awesome evil ending I’ve played. Right up there with Dark Forces II: Jedi Knight’s evil ending.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads