• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Survivor D&D Computer Games- Baldur's Gate WINS!

BookBarbarian

Expert Long Rester
As we come down to the finals I thought I'd point out that many of these games have been recently revamped by Beamdog and re-released. https://www.beamdog.com/

I've got Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition and was surprised by how well an old game where you had to mouse-click to do everything translates to a Tablet game where you tap to do everything. I'm planning on getting BG 2 EE next.

Because of this Thread I'll definitely have to pick up Planscape: Torment EE too.

Gradine

The Elephant in the Room (she/her)
As we come down to the finals I thought I'd point out that many of these games have been recently revamped by Beamdog and re-released. https://www.beamdog.com/

I've got Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition and was surprised by how well an old game where you had to mouse-click to do everything translates to a Tablet game where you tap to do everything. I'm planning on getting BG 2 EE next.

Because of this Thread I'll definitely have to pick up Planscape: Torment EE too.

There's also an Icewind Dale: EE, which is BG's more combat-oriented cousin. You get to build a party from start (with engaging in the sort of multiplayer antics you need to do in BG to accomplish that) and it's a lot more questing, dealing with well-designed dungeons/encounters and the like. What I played of it was pretty linear but it's always fun building a full six-person AD&D party.

Last I heard they were working on a Neverwinter Nights: EE (they skipped ID2 because apparently the source code for that has been entirely lost in the annals of history) but I haven't heard anything else about it, not sure if it's released yet or not.

BookBarbarian

Expert Long Rester
There's also an Icewind Dale: EE, which is BG's more combat-oriented cousin. You get to build a party from start (with engaging in the sort of multiplayer antics you need to do in BG to accomplish that) and it's a lot more questing, dealing with well-designed dungeons/encounters and the like. What I played of it was pretty linear but it's always fun building a full six-person AD&D party.

Last I heard they were working on a Neverwinter Nights: EE (they skipped ID2 because apparently the source code for that has been entirely lost in the annals of history) but I haven't heard anything else about it, not sure if it's released yet or not.

NWN: EE came out in March. I'm considering getting the Deluxe edition since it comes with Wyvern Crown of Cormyr which I never did finish playing through.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Man! I went to the end of the thread and when I saw all the quotes and replies, I thought, "Really?! It's over already?" You guys are a talkative lot this time.

And to all of you talking about Shakespeare, to vote or not to vote: that is the question.

Invisible Stalker

First Post
Basically, voting down Planescape: Torment is pretty much the same as someone saying that they hate Shakespeare. It tells you more about the shortcomings of the person than the thing they are talking about.

Shakespeare is my favorite writer.

Once again, I've never played Planescape: Torment, but recognized it as a threat to the games I did want to see win. It had to go.

Shakespeare is my favorite writer.

Once again, I've never played Planescape: Torment, but recognized it as a threat to the games I did want to see win. It had to go.

I'm merely explaining why it is controversial, I'm not criticising or attacking the result. I expect if you did a "who is the best writer, Shakespeare or Salvatore" poll, Salvatore would win.

Yes, the Baldur's Gates are great games. But Planescape: Torment transcends gamehood.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads