• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Tasha or xanathar's, choose one and why do you like it?

Which is better for you and your game?

• Tasha

Votes: 21 24.1%
  • Xanathar

Votes: 66 75.9%

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
IMO, Xanathar's has maybe a page of stuff I'd miss, and a lot of good subclasses.

Tasha's has a ton of new optional features for classes, a whole class, and some very interesting subclasses that actual expand what the class is capable of. Expands Battle Master manuevers, as well.

I voted Tasha's

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
I voted Tasha, which I think contributes more to an overall game.
  • In addition to many subclasses, it has the Artificer as the first post-PHB class.
  • introduces a lot of fixes ("optional class features") that help weaker classes such as the Ranger.
  • it also has sidekicks, which allow for a wider diversity of power levels, good for npcs who still then get class levels (and so survivability on campaign).
  • new spells include a lot of summons and the combat ones such as Green flame blade.
  • new feats are for the most part solid, and include mini-dips in classes to help individuate builds.
  • finally, it introduces the concepts for races that will be used going forward.

(Xanathar also has more subclasses. It unpacks tool use really helpfully, has a good section on downtime (big improvement over the DMG), and introduces Common magic items. New spells include a number of new cantrips with elemental flavour; new feats are tied to race.)

Yaarel

🇮🇱He-Mage
Xanathar’s. ... It also demystifies expected magic item progression
At level 20, a "party" however many that might be is expected to have 100 magic items. Say 20 items each. Heh, this is crazy talk for my campaigns. I max at about 8 to 10 body slots. But it is useful for a DM to have a sense of what the designers are thinking. So DMs can confidently pick and choose which items to assign depending on the narrative circumstance.

Weiley31

Legend
I mean, I like both, but I'll give a slight edge out over to Xanathar because it introduced the Path of the Ancestral Spirit Barbarian, which is my fave Barbarian subclass.

Buuuuuut, Tasha's does have Floating Ability scores, which I allow to be used with rolling up Character Stats in my DND sessions.

Hmmmm, can I jot down the word "both" in my notebook and call it a day?

not-so-newguy

I'm the Straw Man in your argument
Hmmmm, can I jot down the word "both" in my notebook and call it a day?

Ahem
1381081939340.jpg

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
Xanathar's.

Tasha's is OP compared to everything before it in many ways--it is power creep, which is not balanced to older material IMO.

That being said, there are good things in it, but for the most part I find the bad (for me) outweighs the good.

Lidgar

Gongfarmer
Xanth’s by a long shot. Read Tasha and set it on the bookshelf. Might use it one day, but found most of the options unappealing.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads