• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Tasha or xanathar's, choose one and why do you like it?

Which is better for you and your game?

• Tasha

Votes: 21 24.1%
  • Xanathar

Votes: 66 75.9%

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
At level 20, a "party" however many that might be is expected to have 100 magic items. Say 20 items each. Heh, this is crazy talk for my campaigns. I max at about 8 to 10 body slots. But it is useful for a DM to have a sense of what the designers are thinking. So DMs can confidently pick and choose which items to assign depending on the narrative circumstance.
Well, I imagine most of those will be consumables, but yeah, it’s definitely a lot. I agree that it’s useful to know the design assumptions even (I might even say especially) if you want to break from those assumptions.

I suppose it depends on whether you look at it as a player or a DM - both have interesting subclasses, but I'd vote Xanathar's, just because it had a really helpful chapter on how to design traps for 5e.

My most recent character is intended to eventually be a multiclass of two Tasha's subclasses and my vote is still easily for Xanathar's.

Xanathar's added more iconic, "core adjacent" subclasses whereas Tasha's added more out there ones. Xanathar's added more spells that I am at this point unwilling to part with. The DM materials from Xanathar's generally cover things more conspicuously absent in the DMG. Most importantly Xanathar's feels to me of a piece with the core 5th edition materials whereas Tasha's feels like it occupies a liminal space between 5th edition and this mysterious "next evolution" on the horizon that I refuse to call 5.5 of 6th.

not-so-newguy

I'm the Straw Man in your argument
Maybe, Tashas is slightly more useful for a player to fix certain classes and customize the character concept, and Xanathars is slightly more useful for a DM to adjudicate tools, crafting, and magic items.
That's the way it looks from my perspective

Xanathar's is one of my favorite 5e books, to the extent that I even use tools in there for non 5e games. The lists of names at the end of the book are very useful, as are the "common magic items."

I don't own but have read through Tasha's, and in fact am playing a genie warlock now in my one 5e game. But overall, there was not only power creep but complexity creep, which feels like it would just slow the game down.

Remove ads