The Evil Eye - IC

kinem

Adventurer
Raul takes a moment to calm himself. He unhooks his violin, and begins strumming a slow tune.

"Leyla was the most beautiful girl in the tribe. Many men courted her, but she held out.

I could think of nothing else, day and night. But my face is homely, my youth had fled already, and I had nothing special to offer her.

Except, perhaps, my music. I played for her, and she smiled. And again I played. But it was not enough.

I knew that sometimes, strong emotions can trigger magical effects in this world. That's why the dying curse of a Vistana is so feared - passion is power.

One night, I crept into Leyla's vardo. While she slept, I cut off a lock of her hair. I guess that's why she called me a thief."

He stops playing, and then holds forth his violin, so that Jiles can take a close look at it. The strings are auburn hair.

"My violin became a thing of great power. I wouldn't dare to travel these woods without it. With it, I can charm any audience. Even the undead. Once I was set upon by a pack of ravenous ghouls. I had little chance of fighting them off, but instead of drawing my sword, I drew my violin bow. The music calmed the monsters, and I was able to back away.

My playing improved dramatically, so I set out to woo Leyla. For a year and a day, I played her songs. Finally, she agreed to be my wife. It was more than I deserved.

When the unthinkable happened, and she died in childbirth, I did as Vistani custom demanded, ceremonially burning all of her possessions. But she is restless anyway. Perhaps she will never leave Nikko alone."

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
"Her spirit might be upset that she never got the chances to be a mother to Nikko," Jiles says in a comforting tone. "And that is not your fault. I'm sure you did all you could and you loved her very much. Raul I have a question."

Jiles halts not wishing to sound to insensitive but he has an idea and wants a little conformation. "What do you do to the bodies of the dead here? Burial? Entombed? Burned? What's the tradition? And what was done with Leyla's body?"

kinem

Adventurer
"Thanks. The tradition is to burn the body, as was done with Leyla. Vistani wagons do not stay in one place, so we have little use for graveyards. Why?"

From ahead around the bend, you hear some faint sounds, distant footsteps as of people approaching.

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
"Um..." Juiles says then puts a finger to his lips before vanishing.

The bard makes his way towards the sound as quietly as the terrain allows.

OCC: Cast Vanish then Haste again, before heading towards the sound. That's 2 3rd and a 1st gone for the day.

kinem

Adventurer
Jiles sees four men approaching.

In the lead, he recognizes the barker for the 'House of Mists', Vincenzo, still wearing his flashy red vest.

The men don't seem to have noticed him.

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
"Well, well." Jiles says jovially appearing out of thin air way in front of the men. "What brings you to our neck of the woods?"

OCC: About 50 feet away.

kinem

Adventurer
Though startled for a moment, Vincenzo smiles.

"Ah, Jiles! So you do have courage. I was hoping to find you here, as the raunie predicted. Is your friend nearby? Please, come visit our camp and dine with us" he replies.

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
"I would be honored but..." Jiles starts to say. "Wait let me get Raul."

Using the last of his increased speed Jiles hurries to where he left Raul. After explaining he returns to Vincenzo and the others, Raul in tow.

"I'm not sure we have the time. We need to get back to Raul's son and check up on him," the bard states with true regret.

"Perhaps another time."

kinem

Adventurer
"Hello, Raul.

I must advise you against trying to make it back to the city tonight. It would take hours, and the woods are very dangerous at night. Instead, join us, and we can use magic to send a message to our people in town. I'm sure they can handle the task.

Besides, there is a very important matter which we will need to discuss."

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
Jiles looks at the man oddly. "You were looking for us? Why?"

OCC: Roll his sense motives if you wish, Jiles is a little suspicious after the weird walk through the woods.

Remove ads