• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The "I Didn't Comment in Another Thread" Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

overgeeked

B/X Known World
Personally, though, I'm kind of a fan of playing up the patron's influence on the warlock when I play one - for the most part, warlocks make pacts with beings whose inclinations and goals align with theirs, so there's little reason to protest against having your patron give you something to do in game when it's something you'd be inclined to do anyway...
Right? You'd think all these people who're playing D&D for the story would be falling all over themselves for all those juicy hooks.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Right? You'd think all these people who're playing D&D for the story would be falling all over themselves for all those juicy hooks.
I'm not sure those are the people who are objecting to an active (or even existent) patron, though.

(I'm all favor of an activist patron, personally; if I ever play a warlock, it'll be a wannabe bard who sold his soul at the crossroads.)

Hussar

Legend
Do DM's actually play the patron? Really? I've never seen that. I certainly don't. That's someone's character. Unless the player approached me first about playing their patron, I wouldn't even consider doing it. Forty years and I've never seen a DM bother playing out a cleric's deity but, for some reason people have to get all up in the warlock player's grill?

Do DM's actually play the patron? Really? I've never seen that. I certainly don't. That's someone's character. Unless the player approached me first about playing their patron, I wouldn't even consider doing it. Forty years and I've never seen a DM bother playing out a cleric's deity but, for some reason people have to get all up in the warlock player's grill?
When priests to the divination spells who plays the being on the Outer Plane?
At our table patrons/deities are NPCs and are played by the DM. Players have some creative input, the DM can confer with the player, but the idea is not as alien as you make it out to be.

EDIT: I imagine some DMs have a strong touch, others very lightly.

MarkB

Legend

When priests to the divination spells who plays the being on the Outer Plane?
At our table patrons/deities are NPCs and are played by the DM. Players have some creative input, the DM can confer with the player, but the idea is not as alien as you make it out to be.

EDIT: I imagine some DMs have a strong touch, others very lightly.
I'd go somewhere in between. I'd allow the player to define who their patron is, what they want from the warlock, and how much the player is comfortable with having the patron show up in-game (right down to "not at all") and then I'd play the patron accordingly.

I'd go somewhere in between. I'd allow the player to define who their patron is, what they want from the warlock, and how much the player is comfortable with having the patron show up in-game (right down to "not at all") and then I'd play the patron accordingly.
That is exactly what I did.
My players prefer to be surprised so they leave much of it to me after the initial set-up. I'm currently doing the same for an origin story of an elf who found himself without memory after he was unpetrified by an orc mage who kept him as a slave for some time before he was able to escape the horde.

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
I play alot of DCC so to me the implementation of patrons in 5E is very meh.

In the last DCC game I played my wizard's patron was Jan-Michael Vincent from Airwolf.
With this kind of artwork, how can you not just dive in???
s-l1600.jpg
ArtFolioStefanPoag.jpg
DCC-SpaceVan_LR-1024x493.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads