• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The "I Didn't Comment in Another Thread" Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

prabe

Tension, apprension, and dissension have begun
Supporter
I've never played this game before. Is beer allowed? That seems like a shortcut. I'm thinking something like beer, onions, and cream. You can have a cream stout. You can cook onions in beer. You can cook onions in a cream sauce. But I don't think all three mix at the same time.
I can cook whatever protein in a skillet, throw some onions in, then deglaze with beer and mount with cream.

I can cook whatever protein in a skillet, throw some onions in, then deglaze with beer and mount with cream.

Is using the protein as the focus a valid tactic? On the TV show Chopped they would give you a fail for featuring the protein and not the onions.

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing (He/They)
I've never played this game before. Is beer allowed? That seems like a shortcut. I'm thinking something like beer, onions, and cream. You can have a cream stout. You can cook onions in beer. You can cook onions in a cream sauce. But I don't think all three mix at the same time.
I have a recipe here for beer-cheese soup that you might like.

Beer-Cheese Soup
1/2 pound bacon
2 stalks of celery
1 small onion, chopped
1 large jalapeno, chopped
2 large cloves of garlic, minced
1 tablespoon chopped thyme
1, 12-oz bottle of beer
2 cups chicken broth
4 tablespoons unsalted butter
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup heavy cream
1/2 pound sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
1/4 pound smoked cheddar cheese, shredded
Salt and pepper to taste

1. In a large soup pot, cook the bacon until crisp. Remove the bacon and set aside, reserve the drippings.
2. Add the butter and flour to the bacon drippings, cook until lightly browned.
3. Add the onion, jalapeno, garlic, and thyme. Cook until soft and lightly browned.
4. Deglaze with beer, and cook until thick.
5. Add the chicken stock, bring to a boil.
6. Add the heavy cream, beer, and cheese. Return to a boil.
7. Taste for seasoning, then serve. Garnish with the crumbled bacon.

prabe

Supporter
Is using the protein as the focus a valid tactic? On the TV show Chopped they would give you a fail for featuring the protein and not the onions.
Well, in principle, I could brown the onions and proceed as above. In practice, I consider competitive cooking programs to be something of a blight, and I don't care what they'd do on Chopped. You asked for a dish with beer and onions and cream, and I described one.

prabe

Supporter
I have a recipe here for beer-cheese soup that you might like.

Beer-Cheese Soup
1/2 pound bacon
2 stalks of celery
1 small onion, chopped
1 large jalapeno, chopped
2 large cloves of garlic, minced
1 tablespoon chopped thyme
1, 12-oz bottle of beer
2 cups chicken broth
4 tablespoons unsalted butter
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup heavy cream
1/2 pound sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
1/4 pound smoked cheddar cheese, shredded
Salt and pepper to taste

1. In a large soup pot, cook the bacon until crisp. Remove the bacon and set aside, reserve the drippings.
2. Add the butter and flour to the bacon drippings, cook until lightly browned.
3. Add the onion, jalapeno, garlic, and thyme. Cook until soft and lightly browned.
4. Deglaze with beer, and cook until thick.
5. Add the chicken stock, bring to a boil.
6. Add the heavy cream, beer, and cheese. Return to a boil.
7. Taste for seasoning, then serve. Garnish with the crumbled bacon.
And you can change the character of the soup by changing the beer, though if you're going to cook the beer down like that you probably don't want anything too heavily hopped.

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing (He/They)
And you can change the character of the soup by changing the beer, though if you're going to cook the beer down like that you probably don't want anything too heavily hopped.
Yep, the beer you use will make a big difference. When I make it, I usually just pour a glass of my homebrew (I brew a lot of malty beers, like bocks and brown ales) into it. I wouldn't use something like an IPA, though.

prabe

Supporter
Yep, the beer you use will make a big difference. When I make it, I usually just pour a glass of my homebrew (I brew a lot of malty beers, like bocks and brown ales) into it. I wouldn't use something like an IPA, though.
That's about the range of beers that seemed appropriate. I never took up brewing--when I might have been motivated, I didn't have space--but recipes like this seem like a boon if a batch runs a little big or something.

G

Guest 7034872

That one's tricky. The most inedible three-food combination we ever came up with was Chinese Chocolate Chicken Chunk, the ice cream nobody wanted. But chocolate and chicken really don't go together, even if you can do Chinese-style chicken and Chinese-style chocolate.
Small Time Crooks

Ray: We make chicken-chip cookies, ahhhh...tuna mint.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads