• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The "I Didn't Comment in Another Thread" Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's interesting. I suspect they may have named the stunt cockatoo after a Bill Cosby character from his stand-up routines back in the 1960s.
I know more about this than I want too. My parents were enormous Cosby fans when I was very young and I absorbed a lot of stuff through childhood osmosis. The character was "Old Weird Harold" in the standup routines, then plain "Weird Harold" on the Fat Albert cartoon, the latter of which was probably the source of the cockatoo's name given the timing of things (the cartoon started about three years before Beretta IIRC).

For the record, I was thinking of the cockatoo when I came up with the character, and am not just trying to distance myself from the Cosmonster as much as I can. :)

For the record, I was thinking of the cockatoo when I came up with the character, and am not just trying to distance myself from the Cosmonster as much as I can. :)
Depending on your audience they may not care that you were thinking of the bird.

Different thing:
I was on tvtropes and went down a wormhole and some how ended up reading about the reaction Alan Moore got when he basically made Harry Potter into the antiChrist for The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen then I realized that now more people would get joy out of his take down as it were of the whole Hogwarts setting

• A boy wizard who was scarred by Oliver Haddo (who possessed Tom Riddle, Lord Voldemort) with the mark of the beast to become the Antichrist and was never referred to by name. All of his adventures, friendships, and rivalries were staged to prepare him for his true purpose; even his name is false, as he is actually Haddo's son by way of Riddle's body. In his later life, the truth traumatised Harry to the point that he slaughtered all of the students, staff, and miscellaneous inhabitants of The Invisible College (Hogwarts) and killed Haddo, then kept his still-living head in a cage; he later massacred the entirety of Diagon Alley and killed his way back to the train station, where he escaped back into London. Harry then spent years hiding from the public in the now-abandoned Grimmauld Place, clawing off his mark, breaking his glasses, and shaving his head out of a paranoid fear of being found. He takes pills to manage his psychoses and constantly has to fight to keep his normal human appearance stable as he loses more and more of himself to his demonic nature. He was defeated by God (in the form of Mary Poppins) by being turned into a chalk drawing and was washed away by a thunderstorm.

• Haddo was first mentioned in The Black Dossier, as the author of On The Descent of Gods. He makes his full appearance in the first issue of Century, and serves as an antagonist in bringing forth a Moonchild destined to bring about the end of the world. He later possessed Lord Voldemort and had him stage the events of Harry Potter's adventures. Haddo was killed by Harry during his rampage, though he makes it clear that, even in the face of his son's overwhelming power, he isn't the least bit impressed, calling Harry a "banal" wizard and Anti-Christ and telling him that he has been nothing but a disappointment to him. His still-living head is later taken by Mary Poppins, though his ultimate fate is still unknown

Ryujin

Legend
You might want to fix that. Earth Girls Are Easy is a pretty fine example of an 80s "dumb fun" flick with some solid comedic talents in the early stages of their careers. Probably won't kill too many brain cells to watch once, anyway.
It should probably be followed up with "The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the 8th Dimension", just for the full "stars before they hit big in weird '80s movies" experience.

It should probably be followed up with "The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the 8th Dimension", just for the full "stars before they hit big in weird '80s movies" experience.
It is arguably never a bad time to watch Buckaroo Banzai again. I hear if you see it enough times they tell you what the watermelon is doing there. It's kind of like the secret extra ending to Clue. :)

If it was an option I'd tell them to go look at the Grrl Power webcomic since their special "interests" seem to crop up in the comments there with disturbing regularity, but too late now.

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
I was trying to pinpoint what a current thread I am following for no good reason reminded me of. . . and then it hit me. . .

1000000243.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads