The "I Didn't Comment in Another Thread" Thread

G

Guest 7034872

a4fd3c62-347a-4719-bf22-8836d024e62e_text.gif

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
Posting here so as to not threadcrap...

The premise is flawed from the start. Nobody at my table wants to decrease the amount of magic in the game. And I've never seen a game get broken by a Goodberry spell (seriously? Goodberry?!?), or a Tiny Hut, or a Magnificent Mansion. The ability to fly has never broken a game I've played in or DM'd, nor has teleport or misty step. Sometimes I feel like I'm playing a completely different game.

Animated GIF

Last edited:

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
Posting here so as to not threadcrap...

The premise is flawed from the start. Nobody at my table wants to decrease the amount of magic in the game. And I've never seen a game get broken by a Goodberry spell, or a Tiny Hut, or a Magnificent Mansion. The ability to fly has never broken a game I've played in or DM'd, nor has teleport or misty step. Sometimes I feel like I'm playing a completely different game.

Animated GIF

The 5e games I've been or run have never had someone take Tiny Hut. But reading it, It feels like 5e Tiny Hut could really do things (especially compared to 2e and 3e Tiny Hut...). I might have to make a bard or wizard just so I can try it out.

If nothing else I'm imagining siege warfare. From the inside, if the gate goes down? Get some heavy-crossbow folks loaded down with ammo of various types and get a hut set up to block the passage. From the outside, if you need a team to man the trebuchet and don't want them to keep getting killed - have them either stand in or behind the hut.

Or imagine the fun some tornado chasers could have with that!

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
Most of the "game breaking rules problems" that DMs complain about, are problems of their own making.

DM: (handwaves encumbrance)
DM: (handwaves spell components)
DM: (handwaves ammunition)
DM: (handwaves magic item charges)
DM: (handwaves everything as often as possible)
DM: WhY iS My GaMe sO bRoKeN!? tHeSe RuLeS sTiNk!!!

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
Most of the "game breaking rules problems" that DMs complain about, are problems of their own making.

DM: (handwaves encumbrance)
DM: (handwaves spell components)
DM: (handwaves ammunition)
DM: (handwaves magic item charges)
DM: (handwaves everything as often as possible)
DM: WhY iS My GaMe sO bRoKeN!? tHeSe RuLeS sTiNk!!!
Wait, there are things more hand-wavy than the 5e encumbrance rules?

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
Wait, there are things more hand-wavy than the 5e encumbrance rules?
Oh my sweet summer child.

I've seen DMs handwave potion-drinking ("Oh sure, you can drink a potion as a bonus action, don't worry about it"), I've seen DMs handwave the number of charges in a wand ("eh, let's just say it fully recharges after a long rest, math is hard"), I've seen DMs handwave the hit points of a monster ("Meh, I'm bored, this monster is dead now.") And then, about 2d4 gaming sessions later, the DM sits us down to have The Talk about how unbalanced the game has become.

Last edited:

G

Guest 7034872

The 5e games I've been or run have never had someone take Tiny Hut. But reading it, It feels like 5e Tiny Hut could really do things (especially compared to 2e and 3e Tiny Hut...). I might have to make a bard or wizard just so I can try it out.

If nothing else I'm imagining siege warfare. From the inside, if the gate goes down? Get some heavy-crossbow folks loaded down with ammo of various types and get a hut set up to block the passage. From the outside, if you need a team to man the trebuchet and don't want them to keep getting killed - have them either stand in or behind the hut.

Or imagine the fun some tornado chasers could have with that!
As a player, I've used Tiny Hut a bunch, and it is very powerful and does occasionally break the mechanics of some narrowly planned combat encounters, but I've never seen it break a game or heard of it doing so. I suspect the way some DMs and players define "breaking the game" ultimately reduces down to "anything that gives one player's actions an asymmetric amount of the limelight." I understand the worry, but in friendly games--the only ones I will ever play--no one is concerned with limelight, so it hasn't been a problem for us. People who have a more competitive temperament, though, easily could have complaints about these spells.

Where I still see actual game-breaking trouble in the mechanics is healing. There's just too much of it and it's too easy.

Remove ads