The "I Didn't Comment in Another Thread" Thread

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
Posting here so as to not threadcrap...

The premise is flawed from the start. Nobody at my table wants to decrease the amount of magic in the game. And I've never seen a game get broken by a Goodberry spell (seriously!?), or a Tiny Hut, or a Magnificent Mansion. The ability to fly has never broken a game I've played in or DM'd, nor has teleport or misty step. Sometimes I feel like I'm playing a completely different game.

Animated GIF
I think a whole lot of people doth protest too much. But then, if we didn't, these boards would probably be very boring.

Ryujin

Legend
As a player, I've used Tiny Hut a bunch, and it is very powerful and does occasionally break the mechanics of some narrowly planned combat encounters, but I've never seen it break a game or heard of it doing so. I suspect the way some DMs and players define "breaking the game" ultimately reduces down to "anything that gives one player's actions an asymmetric amount of the limelight." I understand the worry, but in friendly games--the only ones I will ever play--no one is concerned with limelight, so it hasn't been a problem for us. People who have a more competitive temperament, though, easily could have complaints about these spells.

Where I still see actual game-breaking trouble in the mechanics is healing. There's just too much of it and it's too easy.
In 4e I went well out of my way to secure an Exodus Knife. The DM even encouraged it, when I mentioned it. It's basically a free once a day Rope Trick. I already had the ritual anyway, so no big deal. He then proceeded to make it not work pretty much anywhere that we went, where it would be useful. Seems he was worried that getting a relatively safe Long Rest might upset his carefully balanced encounters. If I were him, I'd have been far more worried about what I could do with the bag-load of other Rituals that I'd built up. It's what pushed me to multiclass. You want broken rituals? Look at the 4e Bard list ;)

Mercurius

Legend
My partner/girlfriend was looking at twitter next to me in bed and had a tweet about International Pirate Day open. I asked her, "What's the letter after q?" She looked at me, confused, and said "r?" I said, "Look at your screen, honey." She looked and said, "I don't understand." I said, "Look again." And then comprehension dawned in her eyes, and she said "ARRRR!!!!"

RealAlHazred

Frumious Flumph (Your Grace/Your Eminence)
In 4e I went well out of my way to secure an Exodus Knife. The DM even encouraged it, when I mentioned it. It's basically a free once a day Rope Trick. I already had the ritual anyway, so no big deal. He then proceeded to make it not work pretty much anywhere that we went, where it would be useful. Seems he was worried that getting a relatively safe Long Rest might upset his carefully balanced encounters. If I were him, I'd have been far more worried about what I could do with the bag-load of other Rituals that I'd built up. It's what pushed me to multiclass. You want broken rituals? Look at the 4e Bard list ;)
I really liked Rituals in 4E. It was a great way to make stuff work for levels where players should not have access to the level of power required to do a thing reliably.

Ryujin

Legend
I really liked Rituals in 4E. It was a great way to make stuff work for levels where players should not have access to the level of power required to do a thing reliably.
I used them largely to short circuit Skill Challenges. We all need to climb this cliff face, even the non physical characters? Let me provide an elevator for that. It was a great idea, especially as non magic using characters could technically learn ritual magic, if they had the prerequisites. A ranger who could do a Mount ritual, for example.

Remove ads