• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The "I Didn't Comment in Another Thread" Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
Because I don't want to derail a different thread, I am putting this here (regarding the pronunciation of "THAC0:"

My favorite pronunciation of THAC0 is "Fat Gold."

Back in the summer of 1989 when playing D&D with friends before going off to college EPMD's "I'm Housing" played on a lot of boom boxes in the neighborhood. It has the classic line,

Cooling on the scene like a horse in a stable
A brother got ill and tried to snatch a fat cable
I stepped back, like it wasn't no thing
Punched him in the jaw with the fat gold ring

Which led to us at first rapping along with "a THACo ring!" and later when playing referring to THACO as "Fat Gold." Say "Fat Gold" and "THACO" a few times fast.

Gradine

The Elephant in the Room (she/her)
Chelsea Peretti Eye Roll GIF by Brooklyn Nine-Nine

Are you sure you're not? Because it really seems like that's exactly what you're here to do.

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
A certain someone needs a pointed reminder of that Churchill quote about the definition of a fanatic being someone who can't change their mind and won't change the subject.

Old Fezziwig

a man builds a city with banks and cathedrals
A certain someone needs a pointed reminder of that Churchill quote about the definition of a fanatic being someone who can't change their mind and won't change the subject.
No idea about context, but, really, this is the Internet — just one someone?

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
Apropos of nothing ....

There is a reason for the saying, "Don't wrestle with a pig. You both get dirty, and the pig likes it."

There have been times in the past when I have gotten into extended arguments with people, mostly because they are 1000% wrong. Not the, "This is a matter of opinion," wrong, but "That is a fact, that is readily ascertained, and that I have not only given to you, but provided the source so that you can check yourself," wrong.

Anyway, I always find that when I look back at the argument after some time of cooling off, I realize that it was all unnecessary. That person was never going to budge. And I just come off looking petty and unhinged over time (I mean ... MORE petty and unhinged). Whether or not the person was wrong doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things, and once I made the (indubitably!) correct point, I would have been better off moving on to more fruitful pastures. As is said about banging your head against a wall, the only reason to do it is because it feels good when you stop.

That said, despite repeatedly learning the lesson, I find myself having to re-learn it on occasion. So there's that. I guess I'm like a goldfish in that way.

Look, a castle!
Ten seconds later ...
Looks, a castle!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads