D&D 5E The Official 5E Version Of Doctor Who Is Coming In Just 2 Weeks!

In two weeks (or back in 2022 depending where in space and time you are right now) Cubicle 7 will be launching DOCTORS & DALEKS, the 5E version of its popular Doctor Who: Adventures in Time & Space tabletop RPG which has been in production for over a decade. The game launches on Tuesday, July 19th with the Doctors and Daleks Player’s Guide. Cubicle 7 has been producing the official Doctor...

In two weeks (or back in 2022 depending where in space and time you are right now) Cubicle 7 will be launching DOCTORS & DALEKS, the 5E version of its popular Doctor Who: Adventures in Time & Space tabletop RPG which has been in production for over a decade.

doctora.png

The game launches on Tuesday, July 19th with the Doctors and Daleks Player’s Guide.

Cubicle 7 has been producing the official Doctor Who RPG since 2009, with over 20 books. A second edition launched last year. This new edition is the D&D 5E edition, and was first announced back in February.

Doctors and Daleks​

A New Way to Adventure through all of Space and Time

Doctors and Daleks brings the epic adventures of the Universe’s most famous Time Lord to the world’s most popular roleplaying game. Running parallel to the award winning Doctor Who: The Roleplaying Game, Doctors and Daleks is a new line of products that brings Doctor Whoadventures to your table using 5th Edition rules.

The first book, the Doctors and Daleks Players Guide, brings you everything you need to get started with your adventures in Space and Time!

• Streamlined character creation rules to quickly bring to life a new time travelling adventurer. Create a new Companion for the Doctor, or build your own Time Lord! Do you want to do a bit of time tourism as part of Team TARDIS, or will you create a group of Time Agents to fight back against pesky paradoxes?
  • Rules for playing fast paced, combat light sci-fi adventures using the world’s most popular roleplaying game system. Fight like the Doctor with non-lethal weapons, manoeuvres, gadgets, and the power of emotional and logical arguments — or just run away really fast!
  • A time traveller’s treasure trove of technological marvels, including sonic screwdrivers, psychic paper, a water gun, and time machines.
  • Rules for using and customising the TARDIS, as well as creating and piloting any other kind of time travel device you can think of from the dawn of history to the very ends of the universe.
  • Advice on making every Doctors and Daleks adventure feel like you’re living in an episode of the legendary Doctor Who TV Series.
  • An expansive look at the history of the Doctor’s Universe, detailing some of the aliens and creatures the Doctor has encountered across space and time, including profiles for Daleks, Cybermen, and Weeping Angels, ready to be played!
The Doctors and Daleks Player’s Guide will be followed by the Alien Archive, a dedicated catalogue of some of the Doctor’s most notorious foes, presenting dozens of recognisable aliens from the series for the players to add to their games.

Alongside these, The Keys of Scaravore is an epic adventure for levels 1-5, that leads the characters to the Wild West and distant worlds, encountering Draconians, Silurians, Zygons, and more, before finally facing the terrifying Scaravore itself.

1657383747992.png

Here is the original announcement thread and discussion too:

DJThunderGod

Villager
I honestly don't see the need for this. Cubicle 7 already have a Doctor Who RPG, which renders a D&D one totally superfluous. I'm also struggling to see how the 5e system, with it's heavy emphasis on hand-to-hand combat fits the setting and types of character.

Is this just an attempted cashgrab, or something? I really don't understand.

MarkB

Legend
I honestly don't see the need for this. Cubicle 7 already have a Doctor Who RPG, which renders a D&D one totally superfluous. I'm also struggling to see how the 5e system, with it's heavy emphasis on hand-to-hand combat fits the setting and types of character.

There are plenty of people who are familiar and comfortable with D&D who would be interested in playing in the Doctor Who universe without having to learn a new game system.

DJThunderGod

Villager
It's a company trying to make money, if that's what you mean? That's basically their job. The loaded term "cash grab" makes it sound seedy. I kinda wish it didn't exist, as it's never used appropriately.
I see what you mean, "bandwagon jumping" would probably be a better phrase to use. It's just that for me, D&D is a particular type of game with an atmosphere and style that doesn't really mesh with the Doctor Who universe. But that could just be me. I've got a lot of time for Cubicle 7. Their stuff is uniformly excellent (especially Wrath & Glory and their own Doctor Who game), so I hope this makes them a more successful company.

It's probably just that I personally don't like the D&D system because I find it clunky and counterintuitive, and there's already a good Doctor Who game out there from the same company. But I do understand that my mileage varies.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle

So, what, outside of the specific class and race options in the D&D 5e books, actually focuses on hand to hand combat?

I would venture that it’s at most 1/3 of the more general rules.

What’s more, The Doctor is often in very intimate confrontations. The fact that he doesn’t try to kill the creatures trying to kill him, usually, doesn’t mean the game doesn’t have any room for interpersonal physical conflict.

Speaking for myself, and probably millions (or probably many thousands, since this is TTRPGs) of others, I have not had the time or energy or interest in learning a brand-new system for a long time, so something people are familiar with versus something else is a plus in my book. And Cubicle 7 has experience with this from when they were still publishing The One Ring and Adventures in Middle-Earth. AiME, the 5E OGL of ToR, sold massively more books than ToR. I expect to see the same thing with this, as long as it works and is not clunky. And the same will probably happen with the 5E OGL version of Victoriana that C7 will also be putting out this year.

overgeeked

B/X Known World

Well, they have a wonderful RPG that is part of an expensive license. If it doesn’t make enough money, they lose the license and their business takes a hit. In that regard everything every business has ever done can be called a cash grab. That’s literally why they exist, to make money.

So they go with the single most dominant game system in the history of the industry. Despite that game system being just about the single worst possible system for something like Doctor Who. Hopefully the changes they made will be sufficient to more closely match the property. But judging from the character sheet, they’re mostly renaming stuff. Plot points instead of hit points. As an example. Retaining things like class and level is some big red flags for me.

Remove ads

Remove ads