• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Reconquista OOC

Thanee said:
Latalya doesn't have Combat Reflexes. ;)

But that doesn't really matter, since she wouldn't get any AoO, anyways, because of the Spring Attack (if that is the feat).
See, that's what happens when you misread a character sheet and forget certain vital elements of what makes up a feat.

In either case it doesn't matter because nobody hit anyone during the extra attacks anyway. But I will try to remember for next time.

So here's a topic that came up for me during the last round. When you folks are playing D&D, do you let the spellcasters determine which corner of the square they are standing in becomes the "center of effect for a 10 ft. radius spell" centered on the spellcaster? The reason I ask, is that if you center a spell on the center of a square (where the spellcaster is standing) you run into the problem of spells only reaching half a square at their edges.

Thanee

First Post
I just let the spell cover all squares that are within the radius (as in, the caster could move there with a (radius) ft. move, ignoring obstacles) from the center of the square the caster is in.

Bye
Thanee

Thanee said:
I just let the spell cover all squares that are within the radius (as in, the caster could move there with a (radius) ft. move, ignoring obstacles) from the center of the square the caster is in.
If I am understanding you correctly, Thanee, wouldn't that then cover a larger area than is actually listed? What I mean is if you center a 10 foot radius spell on yourself and you are considered for game terms to be standing in the middle of your square, the spell would then cover half-squares on each end. If I am understanding you, you are saying that one should count those half squares as whole squares?

Sorry this is so convoluted.

Rhun

First Post
I work it the same way as Thanee in my games. I count the half-squares as whole. So yes, it is technically a somewhat larger area than the true radius/diameter of the spell, but there isn't much you can do when you play on a grid.

hafrogman

Adventurer
Yeah, the games I've played in have gone the same way. A 5' radius spell effects everyone within 5' of the caster (a 15' diameter effect, 9 squares). And the rest extrapolate the same idea . . . like this.

Attachments

• templates.JPG
    templates.JPG
    17.6 KB · Views: 93

hafrogman said:
Yeah, the games I've played in have gone the same way. A 5' radius spell effects everyone within 5' of the caster (a 15' diameter effect, 9 squares). And the rest extrapolate the same idea . . . like this.
Gotcha. Thanks for the diagram, hafrogman. I guess as long as one applies this to everyone (PCs and foes alike) it all evens out in the end. D&D combat rules are complicated enough, no need to make them more so by worrying about half-squares.

Thanks for the info, all.

Just a quick note that I have updated the [INFO] thread with a new picture, in addition to creating a separate post listing everyone's condition. I've also removed the duplicate Party Condition listing from the [COMBAT THREAD]. It just didn't make sense to have to update two listings instead of one.

Remove ads