Dragonlance "The Women of Dragonlance" -- Larry Elmore's New Dragonlance Painting

Iconic D&D artist Larry Elmore has been working on a new Dragonlance painting. He has been sharing progress pictures over recent weeks. This is apparently a commission for a client, and is entitled "The Women of Dragonlance". There's a new trilogy of Dragonlance novels coming from authors Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman featuring "classic Dragonlance" branding.

Iconic D&D artist Larry Elmore has been working on a new Dragonlance painting. He has been sharing progress pictures over recent weeks. This is apparently a commission for a client, and is entitled "The Women of Dragonlance".

There's a new trilogy of Dragonlance novels coming from authors Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman featuring "classic Dragonlance" branding.

elmore_dl_2021.jpg

Zardnaar

Legend
I mean seriously, look at Frazetta.

Straight from the wiki "He is often referred to as the "Godfather" of fantasy art, and one of the most renowned illustrators of the 20th century."

Thats your baseline...so yeah. Depending on ones age, this stuff (the Dragonlance era) defined Fantasy for you. I know it did me, when I was 10 or 11.

Not for me I like the classic artists but don't care if they put more clothes on people.

Growing up probably had a bit more variety and british art.

teitan

Legend
It was all advertising and also a lot of what Elmore et. al. enjoyed painting and drawing. I don't fault people for that. Frazetta's women were hardly the skinny ladies of the 90s, most were very thick. Of all the artists in the time period I think the only ones who weren't doing over the top fantasy illustration were the Tolkien artists like the Hildebrandt's etc. Because they weren't being asked to do covers but art that told a story, the Tolkien artists would become more influential with the younger crowd. The style of the TSR artists was more than just emblematic of Fantasy but also of sci-fi, romance novels, historical fiction and pretty much every genre. So it wasn't just a genre issue. Some of those old Star Trek novels used sex to sell as well.

I do like the return to the more story centered art in 3.5, 4e, Pathfinder and 5e as a way to sell a game though but that was always a thing in the D&D books, just not the novels where their most famous pieces were displayed aaaaaaaaaaand made them their money. I think the cover to Pathfinder was the coolest and most exciting cover on an RPG book since the Red Box! But I like WAR, probably my favorite contemporary fantasy artist.

Stormonu

Legend
Love Elmore's art. He was at a convention I went to years ago (sometime during 2E). I got to talk to him briefly, bought a 5-minute sketch from him (watching him draw it in front of me was amazing, as I've struggled with drawing myself for years) and got him to sign a PHB for a tournament D&D game I was running (gave the PHB as a player prize). He's a wonderful, jovial fellow.

Remove ads

Remove ads