Dragonlance There's A New Dragonlance Novel Coming

After all the legal drama between WotC, Margaret Weis, and Tracy Hickman recently, this probably won't surprise anybody. However, on Amazon, there is now a placeholder for a Dragonlance paperback novel set for a 29th July release this year.

The 2020 lawsuit referred to a trilogy - Dragons of Deceit, Dragons of Fate, and a third book.

dragonlance_featured.0.png

As expected, it's by Weis and Hickman, and being published by Del Rey which is the sci-fi and fantasy imprint of Penguin Random House. It's 304 pages. And that's pretty much all we know!

After the lawsuit was dropped, Margaret Weis tweeted that exciting news was coming; it looks like this is that exciting news.

Dragonlance is a legacy D&D setting and best-selling novel series created in the mid-1980s by TSR, the then-owners of Dungeons & Dragons.

Backcountry164

Explorer
What makes you think the lawsuit made WotC look like trash?

Personally, I couldn't care less about the whole thing. I barely found the Dragonlance novels enjoyable at all and would never read them again--they aren't that great IMO--and I wouldn't suggest them to anyone interested in D&D, either.

Because it was "decades ago". :rolleyes:

No one said the lawyers are "in on it". Jeez...

Not really because I don't care about it. It is everyone responding to my posts that keeps it going and I find that silly. ;)
Dude, the idea that a mega corporation like Hasbro needs to pull publicity stunts is so far beyond ridiculous that it's hard to take you seriously.
And for someone who supposedly doesn't care you sure are spending a lot of time defending your crazy comment...

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
Dude, the idea that a mega corporation like Hasbro needs to pull publicity stunts is so far beyond ridiculous that it's hard to take you seriously.
And for someone who supposedly doesn't care you sure are spending a lot of time defending your crazy comment...
Dude, you are the one who keeps bringing it up... I'm not even defending it anymore because it's my opinion and has nothing to do with you. All I can think of is you must be a big fan of the series. shrug

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
You don't know that.

Lawyers get paid either way.

Mod Note:
Dudes. Don't make a serious argument out of unfounded suggestion that others were engaged in a marketing stunt.

Drop it. Now. Thanks.

DaveMage

Slumbering in Tsar
But anyway, it does interest me how the Chronicles and Legends seemed so formative and high quality and after the later works by Weis and Hickman still seemed good to me, but lacked that spark or energy. I wonder if this observation is more a function of the zeitgeist of the time, me changing as a reader, a slackening of the creative energy or a mélange of the above.
Same here.

I absolutely loved Chronicles and Legends as a teenager (3+ decades ago). The novels after those weren't awful, but they did lack the "spark and energy" (as you say) for me as well.

Maybe it was the character of Raistlin that was the best part of the original trilogies for me. Once he was no longer a major player, the novels were less interesting.

Back in the day I made it as far as the three trilogies (War of the Lance, Legends, Tales) and some of the associated one-offs. For the longest time for me, that was where Dragonlance began and ended for me. I've started trying to get caught up on the subsequent main trilogies of late, but am nowhere near current with them yet. If there is going to be new Dragonlance game content (and that's still a big if), it's likely going to take place in "current" Dragonlance, of which I only have the vaguest idea of right now.

its been a long time and I honestly didn't read all of the lance books that came after the twins series.

304 pages is half the page count of Dragons of Summer Flame. A tighter tale is probably a good thing, though.

Ath-kethin

Elder Thing
Actually, after the War of Souls came the Dark Disciple trilogy, beginning with Amber and Ashes.
True, but that's a Margaret Weis solo series. I'm splitting hairs here a bit, but I still stick to a firm "only the Weis & Hickman works are canon" approach.

Which gets tricky in the post-Chaos War era, admittedly, but c'est la vie.

R_J_K75

Legend
I thought the publicity-stunt comment was a joke.
I highly doubt that WotC or W&H are going to have throngs of new people waiting on bated breath as a result of the publicity stunt. I'd assume the audience for this book is mostly people that have read the old novels.

beholdsa

Explorer
True, but that's a Margaret Weis solo series. I'm splitting hairs here a bit, but I still stick to a firm "only the Weis & Hickman works are canon" approach.

Which gets tricky in the post-Chaos War era, admittedly, but c'est la vie.
That's fair. But I also want to point out that the two Draconian books by Weis & Perrin were excellent! (and were referenced in the War of the Souls trilogy.)

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases