• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) Things You Think Would Improve the Game That We WON'T See

the Jester

Legend
Oh man, I'm having flash backs to the fractional BAB of 3E. So, at level up you roll % and get say 33 and now are you at 16.2? What is the value in this?
Gradually increasing the stats over time (levels).

Also, this rando rolling makes the game difficult to balance out which is why these random elements have been left out of chargen/monstergen for the better.
But they aren't left out. They're left out of some types of character generation, and (f'rex) average hit points are indicated in the Monster Manual, but you can still roll if you want to.

I agree that random generation does make it more difficult to achieve absolutely balanced characters and adventures, but am not convinced that is such a great thing. 4e was VERY tightly balanced, with very tight math; it was both a strength and weakness of the edition, IMHO.

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
Gradually increasing the stats over time (levels).

But they aren't left out. They're left out of some types of character generation, and (f'rex) average hit points are indicated in the Monster Manual, but you can still roll if you want to.

I agree that random generation does make it more difficult to achieve absolutely balanced characters and adventures, but am not convinced that is such a great thing. 4e was VERY tightly balanced, with very tight math; it was both a strength and weakness of the edition, IMHO.
Oh dont get me wrong, 4E and certainly PF2 are dialed a little too tight for me, but I dont want rando OSR stuff any more either. A nice middle like 3E/5E works best. YMMV

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing (He/They)
The randomness should happen in combat not chargen.
Disagree...I love rolling for my stats. Point-buy and array stats are dull for me, because everyone ends up with the same six numbers (and half of them are always in the same ability scores). I don't want to go back to the days of "rolling 3d6 down the line," but I do appreciate having a mix of stats in the party.

ECMO3

Hero
Nothing says "I've been adventuring with a bunch of exceedingly bad fellow adventurers for 20 levels" than realizing not a single member of the party ever took the Resistance cantrip so that everyone actually could make DC 21 saves. ;)

I tease! I tease! :D

I don't see the save thing as a problem as long as you are playing with feats. If you really want to you can get proficiency in all saves .... or play a Monk

TBH Resilient-Wisdom is probably the most common feat I see taken in the last few campaigns I've seen go to 20th level.

Personally I really like the save design in 5E.

Clint_L

Legend
Disagree...I love rolling for my stats. Point-buy and array stats are dull for me, because everyone ends up with the same six numbers (and half of them are always in the same ability scores). I don't want to go back to the days of "rolling 3d6 down the line," but I do appreciate having a mix of stats in the party.
I'd be interested to see how much actual variation comes from the most popular methods of character creation. And whether that ratio has changed much by, say, level 8 when everyone has had a chance at a minimum of two ASIs.

I suspect that the so-called "random" methods, like 4d6 drop1, that are actually used don't actually produce that much more variation. And I further suspect that they skew towards higher totals, because players with unlucky results just go again. And that, plus the thrill of (sort of) gambling is why some folks like them.

In terms of starting everyone on the same footing, which I do think is important, it's standard array or point buy. There's no good argument to make for rolls, from a fairness perspective.

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
Part of that is on SAD design and not point buy and/or array. Though, I dont miss those horribly imbalanced parties with Xena and side kick Joxer for sure.

CreamCloud0

One day, I hope to actually play DnD.
Stats are too foundational to your character’s basic competency levels for me to want true randomness to be the deciding factor in their generation, as well as disliking that low rollers generally have to spend all their ASI just bumping their stats each level to not fall behind the curve while those who rolled high to begin with get to spend their ASI as they like on feats for flavour, versatility or just even greater optimisation.

the Jester

Legend
Yeah, for me, any stat generation method that precludes the possibility of a 3 is out the window.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads