• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Thirst for power (Finished) (Knight Otu judging)

Xaov

First Post
ooc: My apologies freakin night crew is playing games with my sleep schedule. Not to mention the general set up of my days.

Alright Azaroth will ask Beamer to take his sword into the inn for him.

upon hearing the commoner's words Azaroth becomes intrigued.

Tell me my friend. What other sorts of libraries might there be?

wmasters

First Post
A flash of gratitude crosses Draig's face as Beamer offers to store his Urgosh."Thanks. I didn't really want to leave that here."

Putting the large Urgosh into the small bag, he nods approvingly at the magic haversack. "So we're asking about Idraig, the ships and trade with the lizardmen? Probably one of you is better at that. I've never got the hang of people."

ooc: If it's deemed easily done (I think it probably is, but I'll leave it to your discretion) Draig will conceal his sling and bullets. If it's not, then he'll leave them in the inn. Or, if Beamer doesn't mind, stow them in the haversack as well.

Draig will try and Aid in any Gather Information attempt, rather than trying himself. Gather Information: -2

SlagMortar

First Post
Beamer approaches the innkeeper again. "So, what was all that discussion about?"

He will also ask about the general state of Gotian and keep an eye out for anyone else entering the tavern that looks like they would have information. He will use the cover story that they are looking for a place to set up a shop, and so are interested in things like security.

OOC: Gather information +3, Bluff +9

Someone

Adventurer
At the inn:

The green dove isn´t as empty as you thought at first, since some people that went upstairs (probably when the discussion first started) are coming down. Beamer and Draig manage to gather them and the innkeeper around a table, and have a chat that Beamer slowly manipulates. Several useful tidbits of information seep out.

- Gotian is slowly losing his grip on commerce. Some ships of lesser draught are stopping at villages nearly. There are rumors of Idrag visiting those villages, trying to stop that practice.

- Idrag is cruel, corrupt and depraved. He´s been in charge of the guard for 10 years, and will be as long he´s not murdered and continues to do as the council members say. He´s efficient, though, as he crushed the local "thieves guild" recently.

- There are people that think that a strong guard, even if sometimes ´rough´ is better than crime, and some of these become soldiers themselves. However, there are rumors of Idrag having a core of guards who manage the darker jobs. Those guards are very loyal to him, rarely have to work patrolling or watching, and have a lot of money to spare.

When the conversation is over it´s dark outside.

Azaroth

"Bellynan the spice trader holds one" says the man. "Actually they were the books and parchments stored at the old temple, but the council said they were neglected and needed better protection, so he has them. You´ll have to pay well if you want to read those books"

SlagMortar

First Post
Well that is certainly a useful chunk of information. Beamer's jaw cracks in a yawn, "Well, I'm beat. It was a pleasure meeting you all. Your words are a bit discouraging to an entrepreneur, but we'll have to have a look around for ourselves tomorrow. If people are looking to sell because trade is moving out of Gotian, it could be a good opportunity to get in while it's cheap and then ride the tide of Gotian's return to glory."

Once back in their rooms, Beamer sits up for a bit with the others making plans for the morning. "Well, we learned quite a bit tonight. For one, Idrag has made himself some enemies in whatever is left of that thieves guild. That could be useful depending on how crushed they are. We'll have to keep an eye out.

"It sounds a bit like the council put a mad dog in charge of the watch and now they are upset that it has bitten them, but it will be good for Gotian if we can clean up their little mess. We also know two other important things." Beamer ticks off on his fingers, "One, those who are supportive of the guards' ways are able to join up. And two, Idrag leaves the city now and again to visit these other towns. Perhaps Azaroth and possibly you, Draig, could look into joining the guard. Afterall, a business man's body guards could perform their duties even better if they were part of the official watch. If we can learn when Idrag is planning to visit one of the other costal towns, perhaps we can arrange to drop in for a little discussion with him."

OOC: I deducted 2 gp from Beamer's character sheet for the two rooms.

Patlin

Explorer
Banion finally feels compelled to speak as the silence stretches.

"I'd prefer a plan that didn't split us up, really. Also, I'm somewhat concerned about the rumor that Idrag's favorite guards have a lot of steady cash. Our employers seemed to think they were safe from a coup because they controll the money. What if Idrag has another source of funding? This whole city could be a bloodbath waiting to happen, and trying to take the system apart from the inside by infiltrating the guard could take months. I'm not sure we have the leisure to be all that patient."

Xaov

First Post
Perhaps you might tell me where I could find this man. Though the temple I feel will have the types of books I'm looking for a personal collection might have some interesting books within it. Thank you for your time.

Azaroth makes a note of the location of the spice trader in his journal.

Azaroth then walks to the temple and will proceed to walk in.

Last edited:

wmasters

First Post
"I can join as a guard, see if I can get any information that way. Speaking to some of the guards, see if we can find a 'friend' already on the inside, would be a lot quicker."

SlagMortar

First Post
"Excellent points all around. One problem with not splitting up is that we will look like we are clearly working together. That is more likely to alert Idrag's suspicions. I was thinking that we only need to find out when Idrag is leaving the city and that we might be able to corner him then. In the mean time, the rest of us could continue asking around town. I understand the desire to not split up though, too. Do you have any ideas what we can do while staying together?"

Remove ads