D&D 5E To MC or not MC? That is the question!

Does your game allow multiclassing or not?

• Multiclassing is a way of life.

Votes: 4 3.4%
  • Most PCs are multiclassed.

Votes: 4 3.4%
  • Maybe half the PCs pick up a second class or more.

Votes: 15 12.7%
  • Sometimes a PC will multiclass.

Votes: 46 39.0%
  • It is pretty rare for a PC to multiclass.

Votes: 34 28.8%
  • We don't play with multiclassing (or no one does it anyway).

Votes: 14 11.9%
  • Other. Please explain below.

Votes: 1 0.8%

It is allowed, but with restrictions usually. No dips. If you add a new class, you have to stay that class for 3 levels before switching again. And sometimes no multi-classing as two casters of the same power type, meaning not being two different classes that are both divine magic or two that are both arcane, which is mainly for a homebrew setting.

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
Pathfinder rewards people for taking levels in their favoured class (I believe you choose it at 1st level rather than having it dictated by race). You gain extra hit points, skill points, or additional uses of class abilities.

D20 Conan had a system where if you stuck with a racial archetype (such as barbarian for cimmerians) you'd gain additional feats, I think, at levels 1, 5, and 10.

With adjustments (It would be crazy to hand out an extra 3 feats unless you were going for a high powered game), either of these systems might work to encourage more single classes.

oreofox

Explorer
Pathfinder, you chose what your favored class was, and if using the optional variant, gain extra bonuses depending on what that class was, and what your race was. I haven't played it in over 5 years, so can't remember, but I'm pretty sure that at least the default, you got a thing for every so-many levels in the class. Default you got like +2 skill points (or was it +1?) each time you took a level in your favored class. I think there's one where you deal an extra 1/3 damage when doing something from the class (so every 3 levels, you deal an extra +1 damage). Much better than 3e's version, where all half-orcs had a favored class of barbarian, thus shoehorning them into that steretype (same with gnome illusionists/bards, elf wizards, halfling rogues, etc).

As for multiclassing, I tend to disclude it from the games I DM. Though, my players seem to be more story oriented than power oriented, which then I wouldn't have a problem with MCing. The game I play in, I MCed, but it was story reasons. Unfortunately, I am not having fun, as the new players added after previous players left have all been power oriented, making every choice based on the numbers, which makes my MCed character not fun at all (she's not the best at pumping numbers, being a redemption paladin/fiend warlock/barbarian (one level) ). Thinking of retiring her.

ART!

Deluxe Unhuman
We always allow it, but not many players have ever chosen to go that route with any of their characters. It's not rare, but it's definitely uncommon.

I'm seriously considering multiclassing to be required in the next game I run, as a way to offset the lagging behind effect/sensation that often comes with multiclassing when most other players aren't.

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
I think the biggest cause of drawing players to multiclassing is that most capstones are exponentially less useful than the first lv of another class.
Most games don't get to 20 but I think it would help.

Maybe in those games that get to high level play - but most don't and in anything below level 12 - multiclassing just isn't a straight up power upgrade anyways.

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Supporter
I have absolutely no issues with multiclassing in general. I like concept driven characters and if a MC is the way to do that, cool. I'm down on MC strictly for mechanical advantage though because, well, it's boring. Tell me a great story and good with most MC ideas.

FrogReaver

I have absolutely no issues with multiclassing in general. I like concept driven characters and if a MC is the way to do that, cool. I'm down on MC strictly for mechanical advantage though because, well, it's boring. Tell me a great story and good with most MC ideas.

But multiclassing adds virtually no mechanical advantage till level 12+...

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Supporter
I'd say 8 for anyone who wants an extra attack and X, whatever X is. Assassin builds for example. I think you can squeeze some mechanical benefit out of full casters MCs before 12 too, although that from memory, not because I have hard numbers in front of me. Paladin 5 full caster 3 springs to mind. I'm sure you have some pretty specific thoughts on the matter though.😜

FrogReaver

I'd say 8 for anyone who wants an extra attack and X, whatever X is. Assassin builds for example. I think you can squeeze some mechanical benefit out of full casters MCs before 12 too, although that from memory, not because I have hard numbers in front of me. Paladin 5 full caster 3 springs to mind. I'm sure you have some pretty specific thoughts on the matter though.😜

You have to look at what you are giving up for every level of the multiclass and every level thereafter.

For example, fighter's are certainly just as well off in combat staying fighter (2 ASI's and possibly more superiority dice or level 2 spells). At that point the rogue 3 route is more of a sidegrade - that ends up slowing down the third extra attack if your plan is to continue down the fighter path.

Paladin 5 full caster 3. Gives up the paladin aura, an ASI, possibly a subclass aura, a spell slot and 3 levels of progression toward level 3 spells and 3 levels of progression toward improved divine smite, . It's a huge tradeoff. Even the infamous hexblade isn't coming out clearly ahead in this kind of trade.

As I was saying, I've not seen any multiclass characters pre level 12 that aren't just a sidegrade in terms of power. At best you get ahead at a specific level only to fall behind again for just as many as you pull ahead.

Remove ads