D&D 5E Toward a new D&D aesthetics

What is your feeling about the changes in aesthetics of D&D illustrations?

• I really enjoy those changes. The illustrations resemble well my ideal setting!

• I'm ok with those changes, even if my ideal setting has a different aesthetics.

• I'm uncertain about those changes

• I'm not ok with those changes because it impairs my immersion in the game.

• I hate those changes, I do not recognize D&D anymore

• The art doesn't really matter to me either way. I don't buy/play the game for the art.

• Change in aesthetics? Where? What?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Laurefindel

Legend
Maybe it's a rogue with the Entertainer background???
No, it got to be a bard.

See, this is a classic bait-and-switch manoeuvre. Bait the owlbear with a steak and at the last second, swooosh, feed it the bard instead! Only bards are known to provoke such loathsome reactions from other party members...

Weiley31

Legend
That is the cheesecake.
You call that a Cheesecake mate? Hahaha, No that's not a cheese cake.

That's a Cheesecake
1648155800796.png

Undrave

Legend
I'd definitely drop $50 on a Book of Gray Apathy, though.
Introducing:

The Barbarian Path of the Great Sloth
The Bard College of Ennui
The Cleric Domain of Depression
The Druid Circle of Hibernation
The Paladin Oath of Laissez-Faire
The Tax Collector Rogue
The Wizard School of Bureaucramancy

The adventurers resting by a mammoth skull vs. The Companions of the Lance
1648154714049.jpeg

STOP STARING AT ME!!! :mad:

Bluebell

Explorer
Three from recent WotC seems easy enough. I don't have any of these but quick image searches from the titles of recent ones that come to mind.

View attachment 154130View attachment 154131

Actually, these particular covers (and honestly the second one is just an alt cover, so totally optional) don't remind me of Disney at all, but they do remind me of a lot of recent fantasy cartoons that have both child and adult audiences such as The Dragon Prince, the She-Ra reboot, Adventure Time, Steven Universe, or Hilda.

Surely the point of cover art is to both grab attention and to convey the overall tone of the contents. And to me, this cover conveys both a sense of whimsy and a more lighthearted vibe than I would usually expect from a more traditional DnD adventure. This cover jumps out to me because it's so different from other DnD covers that I have seen. And I don't think it's an accident that a book specifically showcasing diverse authors is drawing on fantasy imagery that's currently popular with young audiences, because many of the cartoons I listed above are popular partially because of how diverse they are.

Would I expect to see something that bright and colorful for a general DnD rulebook? Probably not! Even though I, personally, love these colorful palettes and would love to see more of them, I know it's not everyone's thing.

I refer back to Morrus's thread regarding the D&D changes to highlight how, release after release it is increasingly evident that the aesthetics of D&D illustrations are changing.

What do you think of this trend?

I don't mind the change, if there is one. I don't think there's really been a significant change; it still reads as pretty generic western fantasy to me.

Sure, some of the more recent books have featured a greater number of fey creatures, but I don't think that's a trend. I think it's just a less explored aspect of D&D fantasy that got a couple books in a row on it. Feywild and Shadowfell are interesting because they're poorly explored. FR and the outer planes are pretty well bought and paid for at this point. Taken as a whole, Avernus was pretty far from cartoonish, and the art I recall of the cartoonish aspects really wasn't very cartoonish. I don't think Strixhaven, Saltmarsh, Candlekeep, or Frostmaiden were particularly cartoonish, either. I don't recall any cartoonish standouts from Tasha's or Fizban's.

However, I do think people are increasingly getting sick of grimdark, so they may be more welcoming to more fanciful aesthetics. For a long time now, pop culture has been dominated by postmodernism and deconstructionism, and it keeps resulting in the grimdarkiest grimdark that ever dared to darken a grim. Given the state of the world for the past several years, I think people are getting exhausted by grimdark.

Beyond that, I do think that as fantasy is increasingly taken seriously as a genre and D&D taken seriously as a game, it's increasingly likely for both to stop taking themselves so seriously all the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads