[TRAILER] Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Not kids anyway.

I remain unconvinced.

The analysis based on twitter followers is completely bogus in this context. You aren't going to see many twitter followers of the movie under 11 years old when few people under 11 years old have a twitter account. The average age of twitter fans, by this selective nature of twitter, won't tell you much about the average age of fans, in general.

And, again, the average age of ticket purchasers doesn't tell you much, for the same reasons - kids usually don't buy their own tickets! And in the second article you link there, they don't seem to tell us how we get "ticket holders". It isn't like you have to show ID while holding a ticket. So, again, questionable statistics.

The third article you cite in this post merely asserts what a typical fan is like - they do not seem to say how they came by that profile. They don't even say what they mean when they say, "A typical Star Wars fan is likely <x>." Is that an average, is that, "over 50% of people in the theater fit this profile"?

So, I don't find any of those statistics convincing.

Last edited:

Zardnaar

Legend
It just what pops up when you Google starvwars demographs.

Someone played the old citation game. That's what's available.

8 minutes of Carrie Fisher to play with.

Via her brother.

This guy avoids spoilers and alarmist type reporting. He's quite interesting when he explains how the industry works behind the scenes.

Last edited:

Zardnaar

Legend
Well some of the other things gave a broader range.

I'm reasonably sure it skews older though or over 18 if not 30.

Look at the trailers, pushing Palpatine, OT type star destroyers, Lando, falcon original dish, B and Y wings etc, Death Star 2.

Doesn't scream aimed at kids right? And the older fans have their own kids. They also cancelled Resistance ND are bring back anew season of Clone Wars. The Mandalorian also has a Rogue One vibe.

Hussar

Legend
I'm just saying that if the demographic for Star Wars is 40+ year old men, then Star Wars might as well be mothballed. It's just going to fail repeatedly and spectacularly. 40+ year old men are a very, very poor demographic to try to market to. Particularly things like YA fiction novels, toys and cartoons. There just aren't enough of us willing to fork over cash which we generally don't have, since we have things like families and whatnot, for something like this.

So, yeah, if you're right, then you are saying that Star Wars is going to flush itself down the toilet in the very near future.

Zardnaar

Legend
I'm just saying that if the demographic for Star Wars is 40+ year old men, then Star Wars might as well be mothballed. It's just going to fail repeatedly and spectacularly. 40+ year old men are a very, very poor demographic to try to market to. Particularly things like YA fiction novels, toys and cartoons. There just aren't enough of us willing to fork over cash which we generally don't have, since we have things like families and whatnot, for something like this.

So, yeah, if you're right, then you are saying that Star Wars is going to flush itself down the toilet in the very near future.

Why there money's as good as anyone else and they tend to have more than millennials.

They're the ones who have probably spend a few decades buying the merchandise. They're the ones who buy the Blu Ray etc for the kids, they're the ones who buy the toys.

If you lose them you lose them and the kids.

They have more money than the millennials as well. OT toys for example are selling, new ones not so much it seems.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
There just aren't enough of us willing to fork over cash which we generally don't have, since we have things like families and whatnot, for something like this.
40+ year old men have a lot more cash than children do.

Hussar

Legend
40+ year old men have a lot more cash than children do.

But a lot less disposable cash than teens and young adults. Which is my point. If Star Wars' demographics is middle aged men, then Star Wars is on its last legs and we might as well put it out to pasture.

Remove ads