• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Trying to play a warlock...

irdeggman

First Post
Jhulae,

Good points about a halfling build and it is better than most other non-human builds, although I would argue that a gnome makes a better race than a halfling (the +1 to hit due to Dex mod is more than negated by the other racial abilities the gnomes get {we are talking about a ranged "touch" attack here not a normal ranged attack so the warlock is already ahead on his to hit rolls}).

But IMO they still don't make up for the bonus feat that a human gets. The warlock class really benefits more from feats than anything else.

The built in "weapon focus" is handy, but only if that is a feat that would have been chosen anyway - and IMO it is not in the "must have" list of feats - for martial type feats (other than the point blank/precise shot feats, which are very high on the "must have list" if going for ranged attacks) you are better off dipping into a level or two of fighter, but losing the CL is a real hefty penalty.

RigaMortus2

First Post
You could do Strongheart Halfling for the bonus feat...

Another fun race is Warforged. I have a Megaman concept I am dying to try out which encomposes Warforged race w/ Warlock and/or Dragonfire Adept class(es)...

Set

First Post
Human, for the Feat or Kobold, for the size bonuses and a full 30 ft. speed.

I started with the Summon Swarm, Shatter and Spider Climb Invocations as soon as possible. Spider Climb is axed for Fell Flight when it becomes available (both exist for the same reason, to keep your precious body the heck away from melee, particularly those Full Attacks!).

Note that Light Armor is an option, so a mithral shirt is key. Once you can squeak it in Battle Caster feat allows you to wear Mithral Full Plate while hovering above the battlefield, spreading your particular brand of chaos.

Ability Focus (EB), Point-Blank Shot, Precise Shot and Maximize Spell-like Ability also ranked up there as Feats I had to have. Quicken SLA was later on my shopping list, as was Extra Invocation.

Shin Okada

Explorer
Jhulae said:
Easy travel is only 1500 gp. That makes +1 armor of easy travel 2660-2800 gp. I'd hardly consider that much money needing "high level" to acquire..

Well, I usually start a campaign from 1st-level. Thus, something does not work on the 1st-level is trouble. But your point taken, encumbrance problem may be almost compensated at level 5+ (and if your DM allow you to use MIC).

So, your alterative was a human warlock with 8,16, 14,12,14,14. Same number of skills, only -1 to attack and AC, and +1 bonus feats and 10 feet faster speed, and medium size.

I still think the latter human warlock is far much better. He can take Point Blanc Shot - precise shot at 1st-level while that halfling warlock cannot. So until 3rd level, in most cases the human warlock is a better shooter (at that level, many of the opponents are medium sized and often being engaged in melee with your party member). Now at 3rd level, while that halfing can now take precise shot, the human warlock can take Weapon Focus (ray). So, only after 6th-level, the halfling warlock can truly get that only +1 attack bonus.

And that +10 speed difference DO makes a difference at least in my experience. I have seen at least 4 halfling mage type PCs actually played in 3e/3.5e and all of them suffered from their slow speed for positioning. In 3e/3.5e, speed is VERY important. When he cannot be in the right position, having +1 or +2 attack bonus is negated. He cannot target something he cannot see. His opponent may get cover bonus for a round longer because the halfling mage is slow, etc. Remember, in case of warlock, he cannot lern swift flight or flight spells. Fell-flight is based on his land speed. And for any class, being small is a big curse due to that special size bonus rules and the existence of so many size-based special attacks and effects. Not only tripping and grappling. But even wind effect punishes smaller characters.

I love Halfling. My 1st and 2nd characters in chromatic DnD (more than 20 years ago) was halflings. And I have some friends who love halfling. We tried many halfling character since the release of 3.0e and our conclusion is, they got the short end of the shaft.

Jhulae

First Post
Shin Okada said:
So, your alterative was a human warlock with 8,16, 14,12,14,14. Same number of skills, only -1 to attack and AC, and +1 bonus feats and 10 feet faster speed, and medium size.

I still think the latter human warlock is far much better. He can take Point Blanc Shot - precise shot at 1st-level while that halfling warlock cannot. So until 3rd level, in most cases the human warlock is a better shooter (at that level, many of the opponents are medium sized and often being engaged in melee with your party member). Now at 3rd level, while that halfing can now take precise shot, the human warlock can take Weapon Focus (ray). So, only after 6th-level, the halfling warlock can truly get that only +1 attack bonus.

And that +10 speed difference DO makes a difference at least in my experience. I have seen at least 4 halfling mage type PCs actually played in 3e/3.5e and all of them suffered from their slow speed for positioning. In 3e/3.5e, speed is VERY important. When he cannot be in the right position, having +1 or +2 attack bonus is negated. He cannot target something he cannot see. His opponent may get cover bonus for a round longer because the halfling mage is slow, etc. Remember, in case of warlock, he cannot lern swift flight or flight spells. Fell-flight is based on his land speed. And for any class, being small is a big curse due to that special size bonus rules and the existence of so many size-based special attacks and effects. Not only tripping and grappling. But even wind effect punishes smaller characters.

I love Halfling. My 1st and 2nd characters in chromatic DnD (more than 20 years ago) was halflings. And I have some friends who love halfling. We tried many halfling character since the release of 3.0e and our conclusion is, they got the short end of the shaft.

When your object is to stay at range, the armor bonus is definitely nice to have, as most things have less of a chance to hit at range than melee. As you've said, since the warlock is a feat heavy class, wasting a feat on Weapon Focus (Ray) is honestly a bad move. there are *so* many more feats that benefit a warlock more.

Also, as has been pointed out, Strongheart Halflings have a bonus feat.

I'll agree with the speed issue, as that's the one thing I'm less than pleased at. Yet, the grapple issue is mostly irrelevant when one can teleport at will and/or fly and stay out of melee range.

I do agree they got the shaft in 3.x overall, though.

Last edited:

xazil

Explorer
Whisper Gnomes from Races of Stone get 30 foot move in their (large) bag of goodies while being a +0 ECL race by the book.

Shin Okada

Explorer
Jhulae said:
Yet, the grapple issue is mostly irrelevant when one can teleport at will and/or fly and stay out of melee range.

Actually, that problem is more significant in the case of warlock, comparing to other type of mages. ALL the invocations do have somatic component, though they are spell-like abilities. And there is no feat such as "still spell-like ability". Thus, a grappled warlock cannot use any of his invocations at all. And there are many flying grapplers and a halfling warlock using Fell-Flight is a slow and easy --- and very conspicuous ---- bait for such creatures (Grell, Dragons with Snatch feat, etc.)

Shin Okada

Explorer
If not human, I do recommend Catfolk in Races of the Wild. LA+1 may hurts. But +4 Dex, +2 Cha and base speed of 40 is great for a Warlock. And they have +1 natural armor, too. So +3 AC in total.

Jhulae

First Post
Shin Okada said:
Actually, that problem is more significant in the case of warlock, comparing to other type of mages. ALL the invocations do have somatic component, though they are spell-like abilities. And there is no feat such as "still spell-like ability". Thus, a grappled warlock cannot use any of his invocations at all. And there are many flying grapplers and a halfling warlock using Fell-Flight is a slow and easy --- and very conspicuous ---- bait for such creatures (Grell, Dragons with Snatch feat, etc.)

As far as grappling goes, lots of things can still outgrapple a human. Honestly, at the moment in our campaign, we're fighting Frost Giants. Our fighter types (good BAB) can't have a hard time outgrappling them. A warlock has almost no chance, human or not. Almost anything with swallow can outgrapple medium creatures, too.

I'm not going to say it's a non-issue, but in the grand scheme of things, there are way too many critters that grapple that PCs (no matter the size or class) just can't beat.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads