TSR TSR (2) Confirms TSR (3)'s Acquisition of Trademark (Updated!)

Jayson Elliot registered the TSR trademark back in 2011 and used it to launch Gygax Magazine along with Ernie and Luke Gygax. The two Gygax's left the company a few years later after Gary Gygax's (co-founder of TSR (1) back in the 1970s) widow, Gail Gygax, forced the closure of Gygax Magazine. Then, earlier this year, TSR (3) swooped in on the TSR trademark, after Jayson Elliot accidentally...

Jayson Elliot registered the TSR trademark back in 2011 and used it to launch Gygax Magazine along with Ernie and Luke Gygax. The two Gygax's left the company a few years later after Gary Gygax's (co-founder of TSR (1) back in the 1970s) widow, Gail Gygax, forced the closure of Gygax Magazine. Then, earlier this year, TSR (3) swooped in on the TSR trademark, after Jayson Elliot accidentally let it lapse, as TSR (2) confirms:

We have owned the TSR trademark since 2011. Last year, we missed a filing date, and another company registered it, though we are still using it in commerce. While we could win a lawsuit, we frankly don't have the money to litigate. So, we're licensing it back from them.

As a result, there are two companies now using the name TSR. You can tell when it's us because we're the only ones using the new logo.

They're opening a museum in Lake Geneva at the old TSR house, and we wish them success with it, it's important to celebrate the legacy that Gary Gygax created.

Ernie Gygax, formerly of TSR (1) under Gary Gygax, then working with Jayson Elliot as part of TSR (2), is one of the founders of of TSR (3), and confirmed in his (now infamous) interview --

The other TSR is a licensee because [Jayson Elliot] let it lapse. But he had absolutely ... love for the game and the products. There was no reason to say 'oh you've screwed up, oh it's all ours, ha ha ha ha!' Instead, Justin [LaNasa] came to him and said ... we love that you're doing Top Secret things, we have a much broader goal for the whole thing. But there's no reason for you to stop or even have any troubles. Justin said, I'll take care of the paperwork, you just give me $10 a year, and you put out all this love for old school gaming that you can. And we appreciate that you were there to try and pick up things, and you produced Gygax Magazine, for in its time that you're also working on a game that you love to play ... because Top Secret was Jayson's love, as a young man.

TSR (2), still run by Jayson Elliot, publishes Top Secret, and is not connected to TSR (3) other than now having to license it’s own name from them. TSR (3) has also registered the trademark to Star Frontiers, a game owned by and still currently sold by D&D-owner WotC.

In other news the GYGAX trademark appears to have lapsed.

tsr2.png

UPDATE! TSR (2) has decided NOT to license its own name from TSR (3):

Update to our earlier tweet - we will NOT be licensing anything from the new company claiming rights to the TSR logos. We are not working with them in any fashion.

Black Dougal

Footpad
I agree. I've known Ernie on FB for quite a while, had a couple of convos with him followed his posts etc. Been playing D&D since 81. I totally got suckered into the Marmoreal Tomb due to nostalgia and the Gygax name. I thought that partner was bad, but this new crew is pretty pathetic.

The bad actors and there are plenty are there but I am choosing to look at how many great, open-minded, and decent gamers are out there upset with this type of nonsense. As well as how many great companies there are supporting the OSR, progress, and ALL their fans.

Riley

Legend
Supporter
I totally got suckered into the Marmoreal Tomb due to nostalgia and the Gygax name.

Me too- although unlike many I'm only in-for/out-of ~$50 on the project.

I have verry fond memories of my few trips to The Dungeon Hobby Shop- and at the time of the Tomb KS, I was enjoying Gygax Magazine (RIP), including its adventure related to the Marmoreal Tomb.

Last edited:

Dire Bare

Legend
It depends what TSR you're talking about. TSR 3 is Ernie, acquired by naughty word means. Also, most people will not understand the difference between the two TSRs and just think they are one and the same company. Justin LeNasa is going to be collateral damage in this.
TSR 2.0 is Jayson Elliott, who partnered with both Ernie and Luke Gygax on the short-lived Gygax Magazine. Elliott has put out a statement that he does not affiliated with TSR 3.0 or Ernie Gygax anymore, nor does he endorse Ernie's views.

TSR 3.0 is Justin LeNasa, who's partnering with Ernie on Giantlands and the Dungeon Hobby Shop Museum. Ernie, of course, is the heart of the discussion, but LeNasa is the "voice" behind TSR 3.0 on twitter. It's LeNasa dissing Luke Gygax, not Ernie. LeNasa has tweeted some hateful stuff during this debacle, and deserves the condemnation coming his way.

There is definitely a lot of confusion between the two TSRs, and Jayson Elliott is the one getting shafted by LeNasa and his former partner, Ernie Gygax. Luke seems to be doing his best to remain above the fray, but has tweeted that he is not affiliated with either TSR and finds TSR 3.0 (LeNasa) behavior to be reprehensible.

Black Dougal

Footpad
I enjoyed the adventure in Gygax Magazine, as well as the pdf they did release to tide us over for Marmoreal Tomb. That experience though turned me off from dealing with EGG Jr., the chaos, lack of project management, stopped communication, and having to watch BP post edgy nonsense all day on FB rather than work got to me.

So I wasn't surprised during that part of the interview Ernie gave either. I really thought TSR 2.0 might work out, but IP.

TSR 2.0 is Jayson Elliott, who partnered with both Ernie and Luke Gygax on the short-lived Gygax Magazine. Elliott has put out a statement that he does not affiliated with TSR 3.0 or Ernie Gygax anymore, nor does he endorse Ernie's views.

TSR 3.0 is Justin LeNasa, who's partnering with Ernie on Giantlands and the Dungeon Hobby Shop Museum. Ernie, of course, is the heart of the discussion, but LeNasa is the "voice" behind TSR 3.0 on twitter. It's LeNasa dissing Luke Gygax, not Ernie. LeNasa has tweeted some hateful stuff during this debacle, and deserves the condemnation coming his way.

There is definitely a lot of confusion between the two TSRs, and Jayson Elliott is the one getting shafted by LeNasa and his former partner, Ernie Gygax. Luke seems to be doing his best to remain above the fray, but has tweeted that he is not affiliated with either TSR and finds TSR 3.0 (LeNasa) behavior to be reprehensible.
Whoops I got Jayson and Justin mixed up. I have edited my post to correct that, but I think that just shows the problem. I read all about it and still got them mixed up, so that's going to happen a lot and Jayson's name will get sullied as a result.

RFB Dan

Podcast host, 6-edition DM, and guy with a pulse.
Ernie's TSR (3) business partner Sir Justin LaNasa:

(A Google search result shows the preview text "Welcome to the LaNasa family were family, tattoos, politics and guns are our thing.", although the text on the page differs.)
Yeah, the more I read into LaNasa the more I think he's the one at the heart of this mess.

Dire Bare

Legend
Whoops I got Jayson and Justin mixed up. I have edited my post to correct that, but I think that just shows the problem. I read all about it and still got them mixed up, so that's going to happen a lot and Jayson's name will get sullied as a result.
I think Jayson Elliott needs to do one of two things . . .

1) Start a gofundme for legal fees to challenge TSR 3.0's registration and use of the TSR trademark, name, and logos. Or . . .

2) Just drop the TSR name himself, and put as much distance between himself and this dumpster fire as possible.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads