D&D 5E Unearthed Arcana: Gothic Lineages & New Race/Culture Distinction

The latest Unearthed Arcana contains the Dhampir, Reborn, and Hexblood races. The Dhampir is a half-vampire; the Hexblood is a character which has made a pact with a hag; and the Reborn is somebody brought back to life. https://dnd.wizards.com/articles/unearthed-arcana/gothic-lineages Perhaps the bigger news is this declaration on how race is to be handled in future D&D books as it joins...

The latest Unearthed Arcana contains the Dhampir, Reborn, and Hexblood races. The Dhampir is a half-vampire; the Hexblood is a character which has made a pact with a hag; and the Reborn is somebody brought back to life.

Screen Shot 2021-01-26 at 5.46.36 PM.png

Perhaps the bigger news is this declaration on how race is to be handled in future D&D books as it joins other games by stating that:

"...the race options in this article and in future D&D books lack the Ability Score Increase trait, the Language trait, the Alignment trait, and any other trait that is purely cultural. Racial traits henceforth reflect only the physical or magical realities of being a player character who’s a member of a particular lineage. Such traits include things like darkvision, a breath weapon (as in the dragonborn), or innate magical ability (as in the forest gnome). Such traits don’t include cultural characteristics, like language or training with a weapon or a tool, and the traits also don’t include an alignment suggestion, since alignment is a choice for each individual, not a characteristic shared by a lineage."

Aldarc

Legend
Heh, trying to argue that Burroughs's John Carter of Barsoom stories aren't built on racist tropes . . . . naïve at best. I love the Barsoom stories, but they don't hold up well regarding realistic and anti-racist portrayals of different peoples. At all.
This is a good answer. I hope you don't mind my non-answer, @squibbles, but as the thread has moved on from Barsoom, I think that I will drop any response I may have and lift up Dire Bare's own response here.

You are taking the worst possible view, and saying thats the view still held, and that its somehow Orcs = Natives.
It's less about direct cultural analogues and more about the parallels of dehumanizing rhetoric the game uses to describe them.

To address a later post of yours, I would also not appeal to Warcraft, which is a game where the racism of cultural analogues are fairly well known regarding its depiction of trolls, tauren, orcs, and goblins. (Plus, it was only within the past year or so, FWIW, that playable humans could be non-white.)

Arial Black

Adventurer

That strengthens his argument, not weakens it.
Quite the opposite. My first comment on that conversation was saying that my 16 Charisma Swashbuckler rogue disagrees with the assertion that rogues only care about DEX. I got the replay that it was all about BASE classes, not subclesses.

To address a later post of yours, I would also not appeal to Warcraft, which is a game where the racism of cultural analogues are fairly well known regarding its depiction of trolls, tauren, orcs, and goblins. (Plus, it was only within the past year or so, FWIW, that playable humans could be non-white.)
You're not wrong in your overall point, tauren and trolls are bad, and they literally had a diminutive racist caricature enemy creatures called pygmies... Humans in Warcraft however always had dark skin colour options, they just recently added some new options. Also the orcs are mostly fine. They are probably the main reason why people nowadays expect to see playable non-evil orcs in games such as D&D.

Levistus's_Leviathan

5e Freelancer
I know, hence my pointing out they have one point lower AC but get one more hit point per level to make up for it.
I thought that you meant that they would be completely Strength based, not Dex based at all? Did you not? If you do mean that, it would be much more than 1 point of AC they're losing.
Thrown weapons use strength.
And the only finesse one that the Rogue is proficient in is the Dagger, which is 1d4 damage, and has a range of 20/60. I don't know about you, but I would definitely consider having a range of 20/60 "less access to ranged combat" than the Dex-based rogue that can use a Shortbow (1d6 damage, range 80/320 feet) or longbow (if an Elf or other race that can get longbow proficiency), which is 1d8 damage and 150/600 feet range.
I thought you said that skills aren't worth talking about for this comparison.
I'm not going to even argue this. You're wrong. You know why you're wrong (hint HIDE CUNNING ACTION IS A BASE ROGUE FEATURE). Stop arguing in bad faith, please.
And Con saves are as important as Dex saves.
No. Dex saves are more important. More spells require Dex saves than Con. And rogues have features that benefit from having higher Dex saves.
And you kept saying that it's all about BASE rogue abilities, not about subclasses.
Show me a rogue subclass that is based off of Strength and helps them be Strength-based and I'll concede this point. Dexterity is more useful than Strength for a rogue if subclass features encourage Dexterity.

Remathilis

Legend
Yes. Granted, sometimes there could be irreconcilable differences. Like if a mind flayer needs to eat my brain in order to survive and I would rather keep my brain, it is unlikely that we would be able to reach an amicable compromise on the matter.
I'm willing to accept a lot of things, but when balors are just misunderstood, I'll settle on agreeing to disagree.

(Starts playing Sympathy for the Devil)

If we use Game of Thrones as a reference of what can be acceptable in DnD we got a pretty wide variety of behavior to use. I won’t feel restrained to play in a world like that.

Show me a rogue subclass that is based off of Strength and helps them be Strength-based and I'll concede this point. Dexterity is more useful than Strength for a rogue if subclass features encourage Dexterity.
There really should be such a subclass. Call it thug.

EDIT: OK, on second though, let's not call it that.

Last edited:

Scribe

Legend
You may disagree with them. You may think they are over-reacting. You may think they are too sensitive.

I'll kindly ask, since you have done this multiple times in this thread, to stop putting words in my mouth.

But they really feel that way, and because of it they don't really enjoy playing D&D. And there are lots of them.

Then the editors at WotC call you up and say, "Hey, we've been following you on Enworld and we think you are deeply insightful. What should we do? Change the language, or tell that particular audience to 'get over it'? It's your call."

What do you tell them (before you wake up)?

I would say 'Please continue to make distinctions between 'every member of X' and 'some members of X'. The example of the Kingdom of Many-Arrows, as a discussion on many of these topics, should be continued in the game lore via core rule books, and fiction to make it clear that not all Orcs....'

As an example, this line from Volo's Guide to Monsters: "No matter how domesticated an orc might seem, its blood lust flows just beneath the surface. With its instinctive love of battle and its desire to prove its strength, an orc trying to live within the confines of civilization is faced with a difficult task."

The line about how "domesticated" an orc is is uncomfortably like how white people once described Black (and other) people--little more than animals who could be "domesticated" but were still savage.

And while yes, in a fantasy world, or a world with uplifted animals or things like that, you could say this is literally true, unlike in the real world--but it still has disturbing real-world analogues, even if the creature you're talking about is nothing like anything from the real world.

Yeah, there's some language there that should have been rethought, but look specifically at the bold section. We can accept that there are some real-world comparisons that COULD be made, but unless there are some absolute nailed down specifics, my issue is simply with the (imo) misguided view that Orcs = Black people.

I mean if we want to call Tolkien a racist, and a fascist, because he had 'better humans' and 'lesser humans' and because some of his people's drew power from a 'source' or father/mother land, then simply wrap it up and pack it in. Fantasy, in the Tolkien/FR framework, is built on such concepts, fundamentally, while D&D itself has been for however many years been about that Dungeon crawl, killing stuff, taking the loot, and living on as a legend.

Its just part of the territory that those that are getting killed, are also sentient, and dont wish to be killed.

This is a part of fantasy. That biological differences are real, and that these races have been created by their gods in a specific image, and fundamentally going all the way to that God vs God level, there has been genocidal war between the races of Elves/Dwarves, and Orcs.

That's legit part of the setting, and yes its ugly, and yes its brushed over.

@Aldarc I dont think it was me talking about WOW, but WoW see's some of this too for sure.

In the end, I'm not saying these themes dont exist in the framework of the setting, and perhaps Fantasy at large. If I have said that, I was incorrect and apologize.

What I'm simply saying is that I disagree with the association with actual peoples, or cultures, when looking at these monster (goblin, orc, whatever) races. That, I dont get, because just because a prejudice or belief existed, does not make it fact, in the case of the real world, and no culture, that I know of off the top of my head, was a rampaging, pillaging horde, like Orcs have been portrayed.

Remove ads

Remove ads