D&D 5E Unearthed Arcana: Gothic Lineages & New Race/Culture Distinction

The latest Unearthed Arcana contains the Dhampir, Reborn, and Hexblood races. The Dhampir is a half-vampire; the Hexblood is a character which has made a pact with a hag; and the Reborn is somebody brought back to life. https://dnd.wizards.com/articles/unearthed-arcana/gothic-lineages Perhaps the bigger news is this declaration on how race is to be handled in future D&D books as it joins...

The latest Unearthed Arcana contains the Dhampir, Reborn, and Hexblood races. The Dhampir is a half-vampire; the Hexblood is a character which has made a pact with a hag; and the Reborn is somebody brought back to life.

Screen Shot 2021-01-26 at 5.46.36 PM.png

Perhaps the bigger news is this declaration on how race is to be handled in future D&D books as it joins other games by stating that:

"...the race options in this article and in future D&D books lack the Ability Score Increase trait, the Language trait, the Alignment trait, and any other trait that is purely cultural. Racial traits henceforth reflect only the physical or magical realities of being a player character who’s a member of a particular lineage. Such traits include things like darkvision, a breath weapon (as in the dragonborn), or innate magical ability (as in the forest gnome). Such traits don’t include cultural characteristics, like language or training with a weapon or a tool, and the traits also don’t include an alignment suggestion, since alignment is a choice for each individual, not a characteristic shared by a lineage."

Faolyn

(she/her)
Exactly, which I THINK is how things have been going. Its been awhile for the older 5e adventures but Icewind Dale didnt seem to have anything at a glance that screamed 'this is just because I'm an orc and bad, rawr'.
Hopefully--we just started playing it so I'm looking forward to meaningful bad guys.

D&D has been moving away from Always Evil, but it's still baby steps. Right now, a lot of evil races are evil because their evil gods are micromanaging their lives (even though evil human/elf/whatever gods don't do the same for their followers).

Scribe

Legend
To state my position further, I see a fundamental issue with the cosmology of FR/D&D/5e (and as they bleed into each other) without some pretty chunky retcon's or updates to the Great Wheel, and creatures which live within or sourced from, those other planes.

When you have Gods tied to Alignment tied to Planes tied to the Beings which they have created and defined, you run into issues where 'This being is always like X on this plane'.

I actually fear that is why Planescape is not a thing yet, and it's certainly part of why Alignment has continued to be downplayed.

Because extra-planar immortal demons are a different archetype than primitive, subhuman savages. The former hasn't been used as an excuse for enslavement and genocide. The latter has.

If "insert non-human race" was given an advanced (by western racist definitions) culture, a thriving society, but it was tyrannical and brutal, but was openly traded with they did not default to war, it's people were happy, and they were free to come and go as they wished, would you find that to be a problem?

Faolyn

(she/her)
Why? They are thinking, they have a system of rank. Yes they are magical, but where's the line in the sand for you?
D&D demons (and other fiends) are literally made out of the essence of evil. They're almost like elementals, only instead of being made out of pure fire or water, they're made out of pure evil to the point that demons basically can't redeem unless some outside force influences them.

Other media may portray demons differently, where the evil is more of a learned behavior or simply an exaggeration by outsiders, but not D&D.

Scribe

Legend
D&D demons (and other fiends) are literally made out of the essence of evil. They're almost like elementals, only instead of being made out of pure fire or water, they're made out of pure evil to the point that demons basically can't redeem unless some outside force influences them.

Other media may portray demons differently, where the evil is more of a learned behavior or simply an exaggeration by outsiders, but not D&D.
Yeah, I just wonder if that will continue to fly. I mean I get you, but I dont know if even that is an acceptable answer, though I certainly dont have problem with it.

Mostly I get kind of stuck when it comes to the fact the gods are real, and have racial ties.

Faolyn

(she/her)
Yeah, I just wonder if that will continue to fly. I mean I get you, but I dont know if even that is an acceptable answer, though I certainly dont have problem with it.

Mostly I get kind of stuck when it comes to the fact the gods are real, and have racial ties.
I think it's fine, although removing the idea that any fiends were once mortals (leaving all dead mortals as petitioners of one type or another) might be even better.

Yeah, I dislike racial gods as well, especially since they're done so badly. If you look at the orc gods, they have a goddess of healing and fertility, a god of tactics, and a god of strength and loyalty. But they're evil, even though those same gods would be neutral or good with any "good" race. I hope they move away from racial gods.

Remathilis

Legend
Hopefully--we just started playing it so I'm looking forward to meaningful bad guys.

D&D has been moving away from Always Evil, but it's still baby steps. Right now, a lot of evil races are evil because their evil gods are micromanaging their lives (even though evil human/elf/whatever gods don't do the same for their followers).
I've viewed it that Evil deities are controlling, dominating, micromanaging, while Good ones allow Free Will and gives its followers the choice to follow them. I mean, few would willingly follow Gruumsh, but Moradin provides a reasonable reason to follow him.

Orcs, once given free will and removed from Gruumsh's influence might make similar choices, but that would take slaying gods to do...

Scribe

Legend
Yeah, I dislike racial gods as well, especially since they're done so badly. If you look at the orc gods, they have a goddess of healing and fertility, a god of tactics, and a god of strength and loyalty. But they're evil, even though those same gods would be neutral or good with any "good" race. I hope they move away from racial gods.

I've viewed it that Evil deities are controlling, dominating, micromanaging, while Good ones allow Free Will and gives its followers the choice to color them. I mean, few would willingly follow Gruumsh, but Moradin provides a reasonable reason to follow him.

Orcs, once given free will and removed from Gruumsh's influence might make similar choices, but that would take slaying gods to do...

See this topic...I would love to go deep on. It just feels so ignored in 5e, and its my favorite stuff in the game without a question. Paladins, Clerics, Divine Soul Sorcerers, Celestial Warlocks, the planes, Planescape...thats the stuff right there, however I can continue to see that these things are potentially an issue, as you both allude to here.

Remove ads

Remove ads