Unearthed Arcana Unearthed Arcana Introduces The Artifcer

I don't think anyone saw this coming!

I don't think anyone saw this coming!

Aldarc

Legend
The gunsmith is far too much of a one-trick pony to bear any resemblance of a good idea, whether conceptual or mechanically speaking. The gunsmith's damage, for example, is clearly meant to imitate or keep pace with the rogue's sneak attack, but therein is a problem. Here are the things that a rogue can use to sneak attack: dagger, short sword, rapier, shortbow, longbow (if elf), light crossbow, and hand crossbow. A rogue can look forward to finding magical weapon varieties of these aforementioned weapons on their journeys. One can easily find one of these things lying around in a dungeon or carried by a guard, should they find themselves stripped of their weapons. Here's what a gunsmith can use for their damage: their non-standard thunder cannon. It is already magical, so it will only be upgraded through their class abilities. There is no variety to it. Every gunsmith's thunder cannon will be the same. If it gets destroyed or confiscated, then the gunsmith is out of luck until they can find three days worth of time to reconstruct a new one. I don't think any class or subclass should be so wholeheartedly reliant on a novelty weapon for their damage.

Li Shenron

Legend
Well I must say that for my preferences, this Artificer really really sucks...

Its main problem is that it is roughly a half-spellcaster with some extra features that mostly replicates spells that a full-spellcaster already has, only with less flexibility.

So this Artificer doesn't hold up well IMHO in a regular campaign alongside PHB classes, but at the same time it's way too magical to be used in a low-magic campaign, which is where such a character concept could be really useful.

I think the original issue is that they are still thinking at Artificers as a sort of specialization for Wizards. They should be thinking more of a Mac Gyver character.

Uchawi

First Post
The ability to create magic items was introduced with the playtest wizard but was removed. The artificer suffers from the same fact in a game where magic items are not assumed to be part of character progression. Add to that the notion of needing a magic container to create magic items or potions in my opinion complicates the matter.

I believe the artificer should be similar be a cross between a bard and a wizard where they can borrow spells but have a limit on how many items they can activate per day, including when others use the item. I guess you can call it a arcane reserve or power pool.

And finally, you probably need to release more detailed magic item creation rules before making a decision on what role the artificer will fill.

Tony Vargas

Legend
The artificer suffers from the same fact in a game where magic items are not assumed to be part of character progression. ...
but have a limit on how many items they can activate per day, including when others use the item. I guess you can call it a arcane reserve or power pool.
Or riff off the attunement mechanic. Maybe an artificer could make & attune an item, but it only remains magical while he has it attuned, for instance?

Of course, then the artificer /would/ be assuming magic items! Just in a very different sense...

The ability to create magic items was introduced with the playtest wizard but was removed. The artificer suffers from the same fact in a game where magic items are not assumed to be part of character progression.
It's an artificer. Magic items don't have to be assumed as a part of character progression to be a part of the artificer's progression. In fact, it's kind of better if they aren't.

Uchawi

First Post
Or riff off the attunement mechanic. Maybe an artificer could make & attune an item, but it only remains magical while he has it attuned, for instance?

Of course, then the artificer /would/ be assuming magic items! Just in a very different sense...
I was thinking along those lines where the artificer is an attunement personified or self contained magic system, since attunement overall probably gets ignored. Especially for the capstone ability.

Remove ads

Remove ads