Warlock Maledictions

clearstream

(He, Him)
First the proposed mechanic (motivation is explained further below):

Maledictions
(this is a new class feature)
At 3rd level, your patron reveals the hidden power of certain cantrips—those for which you make a ranged spell attack or that have a saving throw. These cantrips become “maledictions”, that can be enhanced by the eldritch invocations available to you.

Agonizing Blast (pre-requisite: any malediction)
Once per turn, when a malediction you cast damages a creature, you can add your Charisma modifier to that damage.

Eldritch Spear(pre-requisite: any malediction)
When you cast a malediction, its range is doubled.

Grasp of Hadar(pre-requisite: any malediction)
When a malediction you cast damages a creature for the first time in a turn, you can move that creature in a straight line 10 feet closer to you.

Lance of Lethargy(pre-requisite: any malediction)
When a malediction you cast damages a creature for the first time in a turn, you can reduce that creature’s speed by 10 feet until the start of your next turn.

Repelling Blast(pre-requisite: any malediction)
When a malediction you cast damages a creature for the first time in a turn, you can push that creature up to 10 feet away from you in a straight line.

[Edited 05Nov2018 in response to comments and experimentation]
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The central motivation for these changes is to broaden viable strategies so that play at the table is more varied and interesting. Eldritch Blast is toned down, reducing its damage to one application of Charisma modifier per round, while all other qualifying cantrips (the "maledictions") that a Warlock can cast are buffed. The predicted impact is that Warlocks will get creative and cast a wider variety of cantrips in combat. A possible downside is that Eldritch Blast has long been central to the Warlock identity, and while it will still be a very good choice, this change shifts it slightly out of the limelight. Additionally, it will marginally nerf higher-tier Warlocks in comparison to weapon-based archers, which might or might not suit a group's campaign.

Note that for the sake of balancing comparisons, I assume all Warlocks take Agonizing Blast in its current form. I am looking at hard combat crunch, in which damage and SoS tends to be winningest. The tier 1 character is assumed to have +3 stat and +2 prof, and is targeting AC 13. The tier 3 character is assumed to have +4 stat, +4 prof, +1 magic, and is targeting AC 15. Saves are assumed to be equivalent, but of course open up the possibility of targeting the weakest defence. Rounded to one place.

Eldritch Blast
Tier 1, 0.65*(5.5+3)=5.5 range 120', force type, multiple beams
Tier 3, 0.75*(16.5+12)=21.4 as above

Toll the Dead
Tier 1, 0.65*(6.5+3)=6.2 if target damaged, range 60', necrotic type, wisdom save
Tier 3, 0.75*(19.5+4)=17.6 as above

Ray of Frost
Tier 1, 0.65*(4.5+3)=4.9 reduces target's speed by 10' for one round, range 60', cold type
Tier 3, 0.75*(13.5+4)=13.1 as above

Magic Stone
Tier 1, 0.65*(3.5+3+3)=6.2 uses bonus action and action, Chain pact Warlocks could pass stones to familiar to gain range, otherwise 60', piercing type, three stones (stones two and three don't use bonus action)
Tier 3, 0.75*(3.5+4+4)=8.6 as above, the damage is per stone

Archery Ranger*
Tier 1, 0.75*(4.5+3)=5.6 or 11.3 if Horde Breaker conditions met, range 150', piercing type
Tier 3, 0.85*(9+10)=16.2 or 24.2 if Horde Breaker conditions met
*Ignoring Hex and Hunter's Mark; in Tier 2 Ranger has a 1 or 2 point advantage over Warlock, going to a 15 or 16 point advantage in situations where Horde Breaker conditions are met!

Having run two Warlocks for about two years, I can attest that in a combat-heavy campaign, Eldritch Blast in its current form is so dominating in comparison to other cantrips that my Warlock players have struggled to feel that it was reasonable to use anything else. Our Tome Warlock took Guidance, and that is about the only other cantrip I see from him. This homebrew was motivated strongly by player comments, about feeling hedged into spamming blast (in fights, on plain mechanical grounds... for RP, anything can be good). The player in question is lively, enjoys RP, doesn't get hung-up on optimisation... and still felt Blast was too far ahead of the rest.

Last edited:

5ekyu

Hero
Are you also going to address other classes where the class features similarly limit choices? Specifically thinking rogue and sneak not being available for heavier weapons?

I'd call this a pretty substantial nerf to the warlock, not marginal. Restricting the invocations to once per turn is very limiting compared to what warlocks can do with eldritch blast.

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
The one thing I'm curious about is how exactly have any of your other caster PCs felt when played using other cantrips? Because I'll be honest... the reason why I've never had an issue with my warlock players always using Eldritch Blast is because NONE of the other attack cantrips are exciting or interesting either. Clerics spam Sacred Flame... Wizards spam Fire Bolt... Druids spam Shillelegh. And even if one or another decides "I'll cast Chill Touch!"... it's like, okay... you do some damage and they can't regain hit points this round. Can't speak for anyone else, but I can say honestly that that doesn't make me go "WOW!!! Exciting!".

To be honest... EVERY attack cantrip is the pretty much the same-- do some damage and possibly add on a rather insignificant effect. Their speed slows 10'. It hits a second creature. They can't regain hit points this round (as though the monster was going to get healed anyway). They get disadvantage on their next attack. These cantrips are cast all the time by any number of different spellcasters, so to think that they somehow are going to be "more exciting" when cast by a Warlock to me is missing the forest for the trees.

But you know, maybe for you it will make a difference? Maybe a warlock casting Ray of Frost will seem different than all the times the wizard PCs cast it and thus it'll feel better than having the warlocks use Eldritch Blast instead? I know it wouldn't for me... cantrips are repetitive and relatively boring spells regardless of the class that cast them... but best of luck to you that it will.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
Interesting. A good follow-up to your post from a few days ago about EB being so good it crowded out other options.

Let's start with I like it. So any problems I point out are just edge cases to be taken care of, not a criticism of the concept.

First, do you know all maledictions? You broken them out from Invocations so it's not from that pool (right?) but I don't see anything about picking or number known. If so, it's a big boost to Warlocks - freeing up invocations + lots more options > loss of +CHR damage on later EB beams.

If you get all at 2nd it also becomes a nice cherry pick for other classes that might get cantrips. I already see Warlock 1 getting picked up a lot for Hexblade. For classes that get other cantrip boosters adding this on top could be a real boon - not sure if it's overpowered.

On the other hand, if these Maledictions come out of Invocations they are weaker then before and it's a pretty serious nerf. Especially considering how few slots Warlocks get so how much cantrip time they spend.

You can apply multiple at once, right? So you can attack at a greater distance, push, and increase damage, all on the same cantrip.

Once per turn on your own turns is the debuff people are talking about, but also the debugff they aren't talking about when your cantrip damages outside your own turn. So Warcaster OAs no longer can push opponents away, a bit of a shame.

Create Bonfire initial damage in on your turn, but after that it's on other's turns so you can't take advantage of it - but not a big deal, since you couldn't before anyhow.

As I said, I like the concept. These are just some points to think about and may take some playtesting to tune.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
Oh, a corner case:

Tripling the range does some unexpected things for some spells. Sword Burst is now range 15' so it's a much larger circle around you (that can also toss one foe back and slow one foe).

I had a few things written up about Booming Blade and Green-Flame Blade, but I realized they specify a save or a spell attack, so they are unaffected.

Hawk Diesel

Adventurer
I see what you are doing here, and I don't know how to feel about it. I think it is certainly an interesting concept, and does get back to the core of the original Warlock class. That class was all about getting at-will, unlimited spell-like abilities. And so now, in a version of D&D where nearly all casters have some kind of resourceless, at-will, spell-like abilities via cantrips, how might we get back to what made the original Warlock great?

So I think making them the master of cantrips is certainly an interesting idea. Allowing them to add modifier damage to cantrips or other battlefield control effects is an interesting idea. But I'm not sure if I necessarily like this idea completely either. As [MENTION=20564]Blue[/MENTION] has mentioned, it would make Warlock an appealing dip for any caster that wants to improve the power of their cantrips.

Additionally, when we look at the original Warlock, the primary ability was the Eldritch Blast. It automatically increased in power as you leveled, and many of the invocations either changed the shape of Eldritch Blast (either chaining blasts, ranged area of effect like fireball, or within a radius centered on caster) or the energy type used by the eldritch blast. Additionally, you could add effects like charm, stun, fear, ect to the blast.

So if we are going to help it go back to its roots, I don't think the way is to find ways to expand the Warlock's access to offensive cantrips. Rather, I think it is to lean into Eldritch Blast.

1) Make Eldritch Blast a class ability. It is no longer a cantrip. No other class can get access to it without the appropriate level dip.

2) The number of rays is no longer determined by character level, but by Warlock level (thus rewarding those that devote to Warlock similarly to how a Fighter gets those extra attacks via fighter levels only).

3) At a certain level, all warlocks get agonizing blast.

4) Maledictions can provide imbue an eldritch blast with a battlefield control (push, pull, reduce speed, ect), or a change of shape (extended range, small area of effect, multiple rays, ect).

5) As a bonus action, maybe a Warlock can change the energy type of the eldritch blast. At default it remains force damage since it is least resisted. But then with investment from action economy, you can change the damage type so that you can take advantage of vulnerabilities.

6) Eliminate warlock access to other offensive cantrips. All they need is Eldritch Blast. Continue to allow them access to defensive or utility cantrips. Only exception maybe would be tomelock, though not sure.

Now, I haven't thought out this idea completely. It is still very rough and I would need to look at the class further to see where there is design space to do all of this.

clearstream

(He, Him)
So if we are going to help it go back to its roots, I don't think the way is to find ways to expand the Warlock's access to offensive cantrips. Rather, I think it is to lean into Eldritch Blast.

1) Make Eldritch Blast a class ability. It is no longer a cantrip. No other class can get access to it without the appropriate level dip.

2) The number of rays is no longer determined by character level, but by Warlock level (thus rewarding those that devote to Warlock similarly to how a Fighter gets those extra attacks via fighter levels only).
I like these two. EB should be the distinguishing feature of Warlocks, not some dippable cantrip. I want to think about if that could work into Maledictions.

3) At a certain level, all warlocks get agonizing blast.
At the moment it feels like an invocation tax, but that's partly because of how valuable the beams*modifier damage is.

4) Maledictions can provide imbue an eldritch blast with a battlefield control (push, pull, reduce speed, ect), or a change of shape (extended range, small area of effect, multiple rays, ect).

5) As a bonus action, maybe a Warlock can change the energy type of the eldritch blast. At default it remains force damage since it is least resisted. But then with investment from action economy, you can change the damage type so that you can take advantage of vulnerabilities.

6) Eliminate warlock access to other offensive cantrips. All they need is Eldritch Blast. Continue to allow them access to defensive or utility cantrips. Only exception maybe would be tomelock, though not sure.

Now, I haven't thought out this idea completely. It is still very rough and I would need to look at the class further to see where there is design space to do all of this.
Equally unsure. Changing energy type seems good, but if the base is force I can't see that they'd need it. Therefore the base must not be force. I don't think there is a great reason for eliminating other cantrips though... I suppose you are saying make Blast more interesting so that variety in play is achieved with it alone. That might be hard... or even unnecessary given the variety in damage-dealing cantrips that already exists.

clearstream

(He, Him)
First, do you know all maledictions? You broken them out from Invocations so it's not from that pool (right?) but I don't see anything about picking or number known. If so, it's a big boost to Warlocks - freeing up invocations + lots more options > loss of +CHR damage on later EB beams.
Ah. Malediction was thought of as one new class feature, although considering [MENTION=59848]Hawk Diesel[/MENTION] comments there could be a case for just giving Warlock some of those invocations with the new feature.

If you get all at 2nd it also becomes a nice cherry pick for other classes that might get cantrips. I already see Warlock 1 getting picked up a lot for Hexblade. For classes that get other cantrip boosters adding this on top could be a real boon - not sure if it's overpowered.
Well, without also having access to Invocations, as I've written it Malediction itself doesn't do much. It's just a hook into other mechanics. You know - it defines which cantrips the invocations can buff.

You can apply multiple at once, right? So you can attack at a greater distance, push, and increase damage, all on the same cantrip.

Once per turn on your own turns is the debuff people are talking about, but also the debugff they aren't talking about when your cantrip damages outside your own turn. So Warcaster OAs no longer can push opponents away, a bit of a shame.
Applying multiple at once is already part of a Warlock, e.g. they can apply Repelling and Lethargy to the same cast of EB. You could be right about the Once per turn on your own turns thing. That could be an unnecessary debuff.

Is all that is needed is that the other cantrips are buffed, for Warlock?

Remove ads