What Adventure Awaits?

jkason

First Post
Kaer Fegavas, human barbarian

Kaer nods as the others assent to his intent, and moves easily over to Vitor.

"Morning to ya, lad," he says with a wide grin. "What's the news in the Quarry proper?"

Mark Chance

Boingy! Boingy!
"Morning to ya, lad," he says with a wide grin. "What's the news in the Quarry proper?"

Vitor claps Kaer on the shoulder. The guard shakes his head. "Nothing good, my friend. Nothing good. All sorts of trouble with animals. Since yesterday, we've lost nearly every horse in the garrison's stables. Four of us were attacked by the steeds, but thank the gods no one was killed." Vitor pauses, shaking his head again. "Heard you folks had trouble at your camp as well."

jkason

First Post

"Young girl was hurt badly," he admits to the guard. "And looks like it's hitting the wildlife, too. Had some deer nearly gored poor Zantalas and like to take more of us. Bad stuff, this."

Mark Chance

Boingy! Boingy!
"Yes indeed, most distressing, we were hoping someone here might have an inkling of the cause?" Zantlaus injects.

"Young girl was hurt badly," he admits to the guard. "And looks like it's hitting the wildlife, too. Had some deer nearly gored poor Zantalas and like to take more of us. Bad stuff, this."

Vitor shakes his head, whistling through his teeth. "That's rough. It's also got to be for business for you. I know your animals are one of the big attractions for a lot of people around here. As for who got inklings, I'm not sure. I've heard the monks are quite concerned, and I'd be surprised if they're not trying to figure out what's going on. The Sheriff has issued orders for us to keep an eye out for strange animal behavior. Sort of a standing kill-on-sight order."

The young guard looks a bit sad.

"It's just not right, whatever it is that's going on."

jkason

First Post

"You've the right of it, I'm afraid," Kaer says. "We've lost a fair pile of acts to this, so we got a mite at stake in figuring out the cause. Sad as it is, Sheriff's rule ain't such a bad one; our animals turned awful quick, not much time to catch 'em and cage 'em.

"Sounds like the monks might be our first stop,"
Kaer says. Assuming his companions have nothing else to ask, he bids the guard a good day and joins the others in entering the town.

"With folks so antsy over odd animals, might do to keep Rupert out of sight while we're in town, yes?" the barbarian whispers to Zantlaus once they're out of earshot of the guard.

OOC: ETA: Out of town tomorrow through Sunday with unknown internet access. Feel free to NPC if needed.

Last edited:

Scott DeWar

Prof. Emeritus-Supernatural Events/Countermeasure
Whispering to the wizard Berm says, "Not to mention they may have poor aim and miss the ferrit and hit you instead."

Mark Chance

Boingy! Boingy!
The four carnies -- Berm, Kaer, Zantalus, and Crusher -- leave the gatehouse behind. Vitor wishes them luck as they depart.

The road leads directly into the market square, which is noticeably subdued. Most mornings, merchants, both local and traveling, set up temporary stalls around the square to hawk their wares. This morning, few stalls are up, and the merchants nearly outnumber the potential customers.

"Quality leather goods!" one trader says, holding up a belt. "Straight from Meir herself! Northern capital leather!"

"Good luck charms!" another says, brandishing a twisted bit of metal. "Protect yourself from animals!"

On the other side of the market square stands the Temple of Lacador. Before the temple's soaring facade stand the monks' market stalls where fresh vegetables and breads from the monastery on the other side of Gragmoor River can be purchased. Several dwarves and halflings man the stalls, their light green and blue robes clearly identifying their status as Lacadoran monks.

The high-arching double doors leading into the temple stand open. As the group approaches, faint singing drifts from the temple into the marketsquare.

Remove ads