D&D 5E What class do you think you want to play but never actually play?

GlassJaw

Hero
Monk

I really like the 5E version and I have some cool character concepts but I'm always concerned that they are going to struggle without the right kind of group since they are more of a support/hybrid type character. My group right now is small and I tend to play something that will fill a role the group needs. Not sure if my concern is warranted but there you go.

Kobold Boots

Banned
Banned
For 5E, it has to be the monk.

I really like the class concept, and I know that it's fairly balanced around the concept of having high Dex and Wisdom at the expense of Strength, but it just feels wrong to punch for 1d8+5 when I have a Strength of 8. Monks are supposed to be the physically strongest class, not the weakest.

Hardest punch I ever "threw" in real life was simply putting my fist out and walking through a person's space while flexing my knees and allowing the full force of my body weight to move into them.

Sometimes hitting isn't about raw strength.

Warpiglet

Adventurer
I always play melee warlock. with all of the subclasses and patrons, there is so much variety, I cannot get enough. I am still not tired of them!

I also played a cleric to 5th.

With Xanathar's coming out it looks like more warlock fun for me...

I have had a few false starts with Eldritch Knight. It think they have really cool potential particularly if paired with criminal background. I would like to make a single class Fighter/Magic-User/Thief! Old school for the win!

In all honesty, it is less which class that I do or do not play anymore and more about what image I have in my head. Of late, I imagine a dark fighter with a raven familiar. It could be several classes actually with feats in the mix. Maybe its a pact of the tome warlock with the magic initiate feat...or maybe its and eldritch knight....

It seems I design and dream these concepts that never see the light of day...but do not think they are of a particular class necessarily.

Istbor

Dances with Gnolls
Wizard.

I love melee classes. Even more, I love swords. So I always wanted to get a chance to try the other side. See how Wizard feels. I had a chance not long ago with a Bladesinger, but due to story and people dropping out of that group, I ended up needing more fighter levels to cover the other squishies. Only managed to get 2 levels of Wizard.

One of these days... but until then, I am usually stuck on the DM's side of the table.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
My local AL game I was running had 3 regular bards, and maybe half of the drop-in players ran bards. It totally works to have more than one.

Yeah, but I'd rather not step on somebody's toes. There are plenty of niches to fill.

Hardest punch I ever "threw" in real life was simply putting my fist out and walking through a person's space while flexing my knees and allowing the full force of my body weight to move into them.

Sometimes hitting isn't about raw strength.
You're not a fantasy monk, though. A fantasy monk, as I perceive them, should be able to punch through a brick wall with a straight punch. Monks should have super strength, as a result of their special training, which lets them hit harder with their fist than an ogre does with a greatclub.

Satyrn

First Post
For me, it's warlock. Each time I get an idea I grab the PHB and sigh...no again. What class does that to you?

I used to think I could never like the druid. Then I reread the description in the AD&D2e PHB. It changes everything.

Heh. I've never wanted to play a druid. It doesn't appeal to me, and especially when it comes to the circle of the moon, I just can't see any character hook to hang my personality on. Yet I'm now playing a moon druid.

Oh wait. That's the bizarro answer to this thread - the exact opposite of what you asked about.

So, wizard. I always think I ought to play a wizard for the power and versatility (in ability and personality - so many hooks!) and then I just never do.

Satyrn

First Post
Rogue. In theory, I really want to play it. But the few times I get to play, there’s always something else that grabs my attention.

For me, Rogue is the class I think I want to multiclass into, but never do. I mean, for nearly every character I've ever played at some point I've said "next level, I'm gonna go rogue."

Split the Hoard

Split the Hoard
Negotiate, demand, or steal the loot you desire!

A competitive card game for 2-5 players
Remove ads