What could a scientist in my Star Wars RPG be researching or working on?

MarkB

Legend
Advanced shield projectors.

This is the same basic technology that allowed the Death Star II to be shielded from a nearby planet, but refined, miniaturised and weaponised. A capital ship with this technology can project a completely closed elliptical shield bubble to a point anywhere up to a few kilometers from the vessel itself, while still maintaining its own shields.

The shield bubble can be used defensively, bolstering the defensess of an allied vessel under fire, but also offensively, enclosing an opposing vessel in a particle shield from which it cannot escape except by overwhelming it. The shield cannot be detected visibly, and can be brought into existence very quickly in front of fast-moving enemy vessels, damaging capital ships and destroying starfighters that plough into it, and it can even be gradually reduced in size, slowly crushing an enemy vessel.

Maximum7

Explorer
Ok my scientist is studying sub-Hyperspace, the dimension in which quintessence can be turned into Phantom Energy and then travel to destroy star systems in real time. This is how Starkiller Base fires it’s weapon after draining a sun. (I’m sure Disney will explore it more in due time). However, in the mean time; I wonder what other things my scientist can study about it. Applications I’ve considered would be a sub-hyperdrive which would allow for instantaneous travel like Star Trek: Discovery’s Spore Drive. It also could be used for instant communications. Good stuff but too much of a gamechanger to tinker with. What else could my scientist be studying about sub-hyperspace?

Zardnaar

Legend
Ok my scientist is studying sub-Hyperspace, the dimension in which quintessence can be turned into Phantom Energy and then travel to destroy star systems in real time. This is how Starkiller Base fires it’s weapon after draining a sun. (I’m sure Disney will explore it more in due time). However, in the mean time; I wonder what other things my scientist can study about it. Applications I’ve considered would be a sub-hyperdrive which would allow for instantaneous travel like Star Trek: Discovery’s Spore Drive. It also could be used for instant communications. Good stuff but too much of a gamechanger to tinker with. What else could my scientist be studying about sub-hyperspace?

The old EU Black Fleet Crisis the EMpire was exploring hyperspace weapons. They never really figured one out except maybe the galaxy gun which was fairly conventional really except for its scale.

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
What else could my scientist be studying about sub-hyperspace?
Stepwise refinements follow. You scientist is trying to figure out how/why the cutting-edge step would work.

- "Hyperspace radar" theory, which would let you see the planet in your way and drop out of hyperspace before you crash into it.
- Being able to maneuver in hyperspace to go around said obstacle and continue on your (original) way.
- Smaller-item detection capability, to find out another ship is in hyperspace near you. Step One: Imperial Cruiser size ship. Eventually: Millennium Falcon and X-Wing size ships.
- Hyperspace vector analysis to figure out what direction that other ship is going.
- "Hyperspace transponder" so The Authorities can identify the ship in hyperspace. Smugglers will hate this.
- "Hyperspace radio", two-way communication.

Maximum7

Explorer
I’m going about this all wrong. I need an advanced but totally BORING detail intensive thing for my scientist to be studying. I WANT to start my story and this detail is unimportant. Does anyone have some science gooblegook that sounds coherent that I can use?

Remove ads