D&D General What D&D reflects today, media wise...

Exactly what I absolutely can't stand.
Yeah and that's fair.

Personally I really enjoyed the aesthetic when it was new-ish, in like the early 2000s (and was still far from common), but it's basically become the "default" aesthetic at this point and I now find it extremely boring.

The-Magic-Sword

Small Ball Archmage
Someone earlier said that DND references itself, I would agree but amend that to suggest that DND references and is inter-textual with the many permutations of itself in video games, literary fantasy, anime and so forth-- a lot of the ideas presented in such works are ready made to work in DND. It also, like some world religions, engages in widespread syncreticism, accepting more or less anything that can be made to fit its milieu and monster-fighting, dungeon crawling core concept.

We have monks that shoot ki blasts like Dragon Ball characters (but kept relatively tame in scale), we've had 4e and 3.5e take a lot of inspiration from anime where blademasters are capable of absurd super human feats, where your half demon friend is a party member. 5e pushed back on a lot of that (not all of it), treating it as part of the reason 4e failed, but then loosened up to add some of it back in afterwards.

Pathfinder has always really embraced that line of thinking, we've got Final Fantasy Summoners and Gunblades, Trigun Unexpected Sharpshooters, Maguses that channel lightning into their sword like its a Chidori, Multi-action ramp sequences to make spells like Ki Blast or Horizon Thunder Sphere stronger, Maguses with casual short range teleportation, Kitsune as a playable ancestry with a late game feat that lets you turn into a giant rampaging demon fox, hell Tieflings have a feat called Final Form which is so self aware that it hurts.

High Magic 'generic' fantasy is a really great environment to be able to pull in beats from a lot of different sources without having to fully commit to the kind of world it originates from, so I think we're essentially seeing authors bring in the beats they like, as WOTC gets less shy about sticking to traditional stuff and less worried about 4e comparisons they'll likely continue to expand in that direction too.

Reynard

Legend
The DOTA anime is pretty good. Better than Dragon's Dogma, worse than Castlevania. Arcane, not being anime and being AMAZING, is in a category of its own.

The-Magic-Sword

Small Ball Archmage
Like Gauntlet?

I clicked the link, and the preview video doesn't help much.

The art looks kinda cool.
There are two bases, with three paths between them called lanes, with a small wilderness called "jungle" where neutral monsters spawn between the lanes. Cannon Fodder Soldiers from each base spawn and fight each other in each lane in a perpetual stalemate. Each team has five players, each of whom chooses a character from a massive array of pre-existing characters with specific sets of abilities and play styles-- many of them should be reminiscent of DND characters or named monsters (Lord Sothe, Raistlin Majere, Strahd, Drizzt Do'Urden, Ganon from Zelda, would all fit right in.)

Players go into the lanes and fight the other side's soldiers and the enemy players, or go into jungle to kill the monsters there. The whole time they're getting gold and exp to level up and buy magic items (many of which have their roots in DND), leveling up also lets them buy and upgrade abilities from their set. Each has the goal of eventually pushing into the enemies base and destroying a building at the center in order to win (which can only be destroyed if the buildings in front of it are destroyed first, creating natural battle lines.) They engage in Teamfights where they square up and try to destroy the enemy team to give themselves time to make progress unmolested.

DOTA, and its more popular clone League of Legends, are massively popular esports with major audiences in America, Latin America, Europe, and Asia. They put on tournaments where teams of players compete for millions of dollars, and their promotional material include a lot of worldbuilding so that people get attached to the characters.

Remove ads