D&D General What D&D reflects today, media wise...

Oofta

Legend
D&D, to me, never particularly reflected LOTR other than races. Gandalf was (depending on who you ask) either a charlatan with some flash bangs or at most a 5th level wizard. Middle Earth is far less magical in many ways. We've gone a bit further from some of Tolkien's assumptions such as elves can now be raised from the dead.

Otherwise? We've added more races because of video games and animated shows of all types. The style of game has shifted a bit of course, but to me it still feels a lot like ye olden days. As others have said, the game is and pretty much always has been what you make of it. Most of the changes are relatively cosmetic add-ons.

Gnomes weren't core in 4E, if I recall.
When they did show up in PHB2, though, I went from being indifferent to gnomes to them being one of my favorite races.

Rock gnomes do little for me, but the more fey-like forest gnomes are really appealing, and deep gnomes also fun if you lean into them being survivalist gnomes of the unforgiving Underdark.

6c2f8959c414920d240f783bb8dec655.png

Warpiglet-7

Cry havoc! And let slip the pigs of war!
I saw someone mention in another post that D&D no longer reflects LotRs (and Conan). Society has moved on and now D&D is or is expected to lean more into DOTA and The Witcher (funny enough is based heavily on classic fairy tales like Snow White, Beauty and the Beast, etc etc)

I found the poster choosing DOTA and Witcher really odd choices. If anything I'd say more like MMOs and Anime...

Anywho, it got me to thinking while LotRs is far far more widely known period, what younger D&D fans may care about more now-a-days is Pokemon or Warcraft. Should D&D reflect the more current modern popular fiction? A monster hunter that catches Beholders in special magic balls?

Would it even be D&D anymore if you pushed to the side Halflings, Elves, Dwarves, etc?

Does D&D NOW reflect current media as opposed to the old and dusty LotRs (What Amazon tv series?). What do you think it should reflect? Lean back into more MMO play like 4th ed?
It’s aesthetics are changing.

not a ton of people smiling broadly and wearing spectacles in hyboria.

I am sure the new audience is getting what they want? I really don’t like the new direction at all. The alternate covers by joy ang? Good art but God it sucks in terms of the tone I would want.

influences are changing over time for sure. Good for some.

aco175

Legend
I guess we will find out when the movie comes out.

Will the movie reflect the corporate image of things to come or is it mostly the writer and director who give the movie the flavor.

I saw someone mention in another post that D&D no longer reflects LotRs (and Conan). Society has moved on and now D&D is or is expected to lean more into DOTA and The Witcher (funny enough is based heavily on classic fairy tales like Snow White, Beauty and the Beast, etc etc)

I found the poster choosing DOTA and Witcher really odd choices. If anything I'd say more like MMOs and Anime...

Anywho, it got me to thinking while LotRs is far far more widely known period, what younger D&D fans may care about more now-a-days is Pokemon or Warcraft. Should D&D reflect the more current modern popular fiction? A monster hunter that catches Beholders in special magic balls?

Would it even be D&D anymore if you pushed to the side Halflings, Elves, Dwarves, etc?

Does D&D NOW reflect current media as opposed to the old and dusty LotRs (What Amazon tv series?). What do you think it should reflect? Lean back into more MMO play like 4th ed?

I'll point out both the Witcher and DOTA ARE Animes now.

And it's not either or, the bigger settings take influences from a ton of sources.

The Forgotten Realms alone takes influences from Conan, Narnia, 1001 Arabian Nights, Celtic and King Author, Greek Mythology, Mesopotamian Mythology, Egyptian Mythology, Fairy Tales, Steampunk, Angelology, Canada, etc..., influences in the Forgotten Realms are addictive, not subtractive as in FR gets new influences, but old influences are embedded in the setting and it's History.

Plus sometime has to be said about the influence of genre classics. Trying to be trendy and embody today is the fastest way to become outdate, focusing more on classical enduring elements gives works a timeless quality.

Azzy

ᚳᚣᚾᛖᚹᚢᛚᚠ

Nothing says out of touch like thinking the younger fans want pokemon or warcraft. I mean, you're showing your age here. :D

Remove ads