D&D 5E What do you want and not want out of future settings added to 5E?

Lyxen

Great Old One
No. That is what it USED to be. Now it's a generic fantasy toolkit.

Well, you have your proof it is not that generic, you don't have any tech level apart from medieval at the core and renaissance as a totally undeveloped barely noticeable option. If it was that generic, you would have the options that you want. :p

What makes you think 'create a' means 'create only one', or that people can only like one setting?

Poor logical leap.
"a". It's called the definite article, and indicates there is only one of the thing. If you meant more than one, English has these things called "plurals". Nothing wrong with my logic, your grammar might need some work if that's not what you meant.

aco175

Legend
I do not mind releasing the old settings. I find it is better than just coming up with a gritty setting and calling it Greylark. Or a high-magic fantasy setting and calling it the Forgotten Lands. I would rather just have the updated version of something that worked before.

I would rather have a setting similar to the Nentir Vale from 4e, or a zoom into a section of FR like the Dales or Cormyr. I picture a more 'sandboxy' feel where PCs can explore the various areas and have areas both fleshed out and bare-bones for the DMs to develop. A place where a campaign or two can develop and mold and then another region or enclosed area can be released.

When I originally read the title of the thread I though they were looking at a futuristic setting instead of a setting released in the future. I was going to go with Thundar the Barbarian.

BookTenTiger

He / Him
I'm a consistent Homebrewer, so I never buy setting books.

If WotC suddenly decided they needed my money, the kind of setting book I would buy is one that is more of a toolbox. d20 Modern has been mentioned, and that's the exact kind of setting book I go for.

Strixhaven is actually another really good example. If my players wanted to play in a magic university setting, Strixhaven has already done a lot of the heavy lifting for me.

If WotC called me today and asked me what the next setting book should be, I'd probably tell them to make a book that supports different modes of modern to futuristic play. You could use it to replicate grungy movies of the 70s, action movies of the 80s, modern intrigue, near-futute adventures, or cyberpunk.

That would get my dollars!

akr71

Hero
Make them different. Meaning, use them as opportunity to explore different styles of game play, and different approaches and variations from the canonical lore, as well as rules specific to the setting.
Isn't that what they did with Strixhaven & Witchlight? At least marginally? Genuine question based on what little hearsay I've read.

jgsugden

Legend
I want them to adopt the following techniques for setting materials:

For each setting they release three products:

1.) LORE BOOK: This book will tell the stories, describe the personalities, and establish what makes the setting the setting ... but will have absolutely no crunch or rules at all. They may revise and update the book to add information as timelines move forward in the setting, and make adjustments to account for changing cultural values, but the core of this book will stay the same.

2.) EDITION CRUNCH: A book that mostly has stat block NPCs, monsters, magic items, campaign specific subclasses, campaign specific feats, etc...

3.) RESOURCES: Adventures, maps, miniatures, etc... would also be released, but they'd be add ons that could be ignored (although the ramifications of an adventure path might impact future editions of the Lore Book).

When 6E arrives, I'd like them to set a tentative schedule for lore books and crunch books for FR, Greyhawk, Athas, Krynn, Spelljammer, Feywild, Ravenloft/Shadowfell, etc....

Remove ads