D&D 5E What do you want to see as the 5e Iconics?

Amator

First Post
I'm in favor of bringing back iconic characters for D&D Next/5th edition. They definitely need an art update. (Mialee obviously has both a wand and staff fashioned from the ugly tree) Since D&D Next is all about mashing up the best of each edition I'd like to see a return to the Keith Parkinson/Brom/Jeff Easley/Larry Elmore style art.

In addition to Mialee, Soveliss was an ugly iconic. I'd like to see him remade using the original Deepwood Sniper art.

Regdar, Lidda, and Tordek seem like old friends. Let's bring them back.

Boarstorm

First Post
I'll probably get lynched for this, but it doesn't get much more iconic D&D than this guy:

[SBLOCK="Sorry..."]This is not an endorsement.
In_the_Cave___Drizzt_Do__Urden_by_CG_Warrior.jpg
[/SBLOCK]

I was expecting Venger.

Serendipity

Explorer
Please, no iconics. Instead show a variety of adventurers from a wide and diverse background of gender, race, ethnicity, etc etc. Ideally, drawn by a variety of different artists.

erf_beto

First Post
;)
%5BUNSET%5D.jpg

(caption says "Long time ago, Capcom rolled 20")

[edit: only, less anime, please!)

Lighting my torch and pulling out my pitchfork as we speak... :devil: :melee:

Lan-"the character in that picture needs to die in a fire"-efan
So, we all meet at the town square in 30 minutes?

Ranganathan

First Post
Honestly, I'd like to see them break the mold this time around. Instead of going with the typical cliche-ridden mix-n-match, I'd like to see them break out the characters that are only playable in the later editions. Like the dwarf wizard, the halfling ranger, half-orc paladin, gnome fighter, that kind of thing. Really do some evocative art of non-tropes, or anti-cliches. Sure, these have been in the art of 3E/4E already, but not as the iconics.

Dausuul

Legend
Honestly, I'd like to see them break the mold this time around. Instead of going with the typical cliche-ridden mix-n-match, I'd like to see them break out the characters that are only playable in the later editions. Like the dwarf wizard, the halfling ranger, half-orc paladin, gnome fighter, that kind of thing. Really do some evocative art of non-tropes, or anti-cliches. Sure, these have been in the art of 3E/4E already, but not as the iconics.

I disagree. The iconics help to establish what "normal" is in the context of a given edition. If the iconic wizard is a dwarf, what that conveys is that dwarf wizards are now unremarkable. It's not "anti-cliche" if it shows up every ten pages.

Trying to play against type with the iconics will only cause confusion, and it's hard to see what the benefit is. Let players be the ones to create atypical characters if that's what they want to do. D&D players have had plenty of time to figure out that you can put "dwarf" and "wizard" together on the same character sheet.

Mercutio01

First Post
If we're going to do iconics, I'd like to see some shifts. Make the human fighter a female. Make the dwarven cleric a female. Make the elven wizard a male. Make the halfing rogue a male.

For me, the most iconic party is Human Cleric, Dwarven Fighter, Elven Wizard, and Halfling Rogue. In terms of iconic characters, I think they should stick with these basic four. All other classes and races don't get iconic characters; they get example artwork.

Remove ads