D&D 5E What House Rules Can You NOT Live Without?

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
I don't know if I can't live without it, but not being a fan of static or group initiative, I have grandfathered how ready/delay works from 3E into my 5E game. You want to ready an action? Fine, but it is an action only (i.e. you can move and ready - action goes off when criteria is met or your turn comes back around and you change your action) but you get to interrupt what set it off (now going first in initiative before that interrupted action). If you want to delay you do nothing for your turn and can choose anyone else's action to now go after them but you can move, take bonus actions, etc. . .

Otherwise, reactions work the same way.

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
I'm more curious about house-rules that once people start using, they can't imagine playing the game without them.

I used to think my critical and fumble system and tables were a "I can't live without it," but here I am living without it. ;)

Oofta

Legend
The problem with "can't live without" means that for most people you will only ever DM. If I ever play in a public game or with a different DM, they're not going to use my rule(s) just because I ask. It's a fine to ask the question, just not sure how many people have truly "must have" house rules. I prefer the game with my house rules of course.

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
The problem with "can't live without" means that for most people you will only ever DM. If I ever play in a public game or with a different DM, they're not going to use my rule(s) just because I ask. It's a fine to ask the question, just not sure how many people have truly "must have" house rules. I prefer the game with my house rules of course.
Well, that's what I'm asking. We have two players that we were thinking about inviting back to the game, but one of them is pretty much against house-rules. So, I've been thinking about the house-rules I've used over the last two years in 5E, and what makes my "must have" list.

As such, I was curious about other peoples' games/ house-rules.

There are no actual house rules in 5e that I would label as required, which is saying a lot about the system as a whole compared to previous editions. That said, there are a few things I would likely never run a game without using:
1) Feats and giving players a starting feat at 1st level. They add a lot of character customization and depth to the game
Simple as that.

2) Point buy for character creation, especially if the game has feats. Rolling is fine for some, but will inevitably create unbalanced parties, especially if feats are included in the game. We use 30 point buy ourselves as the 27 is just slightly too weak from the average.

3) A minor house rule we use: letting people draw their shield as a bonus action. It's silly to force players to spend an action to equip it.

4) A more recent (and exceedingly popular for our players) addition to our tables has been the option to switch out one spell per long rest for learned casters from the UA that didn't make the cut in Tashas. Our sorcerer and bard absolutely love it and have both gone on record saying it makes the game a LOT more fun for them.

jgsugden

Legend
Flanking: Rather than grant advantage as the bonus rule in the DMG does, a flanked creature provokes opportunity attacks from all adjacent enemies when it moves (unless it disengages). It may elect to ignore one creature for these purposes, but that creature gets to take a special OA when they are ignored. This special OA does not require a reaction.

I have a lot of homebrew magic items, spells and monsters.

I have homebrew psionics rules.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases