D&D 5E What if Expertise were a simple +2?

5ekyu

Hero
Let me put this a different way.

If there were a feat, and the ONLY thing it did were grant Expertise in one skill, would that feat be overpowered? Would a lot of people take it?
My answer would be that for me it would be something some of my PCs would take but not for power.

Problem is that at low level it's up against not only the ASI on prime abilities (which many prioritize) but also the feats which add new abilities, open new doors (which I prioritize) and by the tier 3 timeframe skills are now longer as crucial that burning a feat for +5ish in one skill to be worth it.

But you could likely put "clerics turn undead once not twice" into a feat and see the same thing.

Now, if "reliable talent one skill" were a feat, that's imo a lot more appealing than expertise.

Quartz

Hero
Let me put this a different way.

If there were a feat, and the ONLY thing it did were grant Expertise in one skill, would that feat be overpowered? Would a lot of people take it?

There was an Unearthed Arcana on this, offering feats like Burglar, Gourmand, and Master of Disguise, all of which gave the equivalent of Expertise.

Unearthed Arcana said:
You gain proficiency with the disguise kit. If you are already proficient with it, you add double your proficiency bonus to checks you make with it.

BookBarbarian

Expert Long Rester
I find that Expertise while fantastic is limited by the fact that I as the DM determine when a check is called for in the first place. And if I do call for a check, I'm certainly OK if the PCs succeed at it, otherwise I wouldn't have called for it.

The only time I can think of a PC initiating a check is Grappling and Shoving, but some many Creatures are flat out immune to Grappling and Shoving that that hasn't been a problem in my games either.

Ristamar

Adventurer
There was an Unearthed Arcana on this, offering feats like Burglar, Gourmand, and Master of Disguise, all of which gave the equivalent of Expertise.

It should be noted that they were all half feats (+1 to an ability score), and they each had a relevant skill trick, as well.

Thankfully, they were all scrapped for the Prodigy feat (gain one skill, one tool, one language, plus expertise).

BookBarbarian

Expert Long Rester
It should be noted that they were all half feats (+1 to an ability score), and they each had a relevant skill trick, as well.

Thankfully, they were all scrapped for the Prodigy feat (gain one skill, one tool, one language, plus expertise).

Back when that UA was released I messed messed with some characters that would start with a munch of 13s in stats, then grab those feats to round them out and gain Expertise in Stealth, Athletics, Perception, Investigation, etc.

It let me build my favorite Ranger without ever getting a stat above 14.

Prodigy is much simpler, though I dislike that it's gated by Race.

Ristamar

Adventurer
Back when that UA was released I messed messed with some characters that would start with a munch of 13s in stats, then grab those feats to round them out and gain Expertise in Stealth, Athletics, Perception, Investigation, etc.

It let me build my favorite Ranger without ever getting a stat above 14.

Prodigy is much simpler, though I dislike that it's gated by Race.

The skill tricks were the most egregious part. I don't want that minutia codified in official rules.

5ekyu

Hero
Xanathar's Guide to Everything.

It's a racial feat available to humans, half orcs, and half elves.
Ok so maybe i missed it but werent the half-feats released with XGtE but actually only DnD Beyond add-ons?

Hard to recall and since i only get Beyond products, hard to tell.

Remove ads