D&D 5E What if healing spells only created Temp HP?

I don't know anyone who actually plays a 5e cleric as a healbot. Considering that,I don't really think it is necessary.
Your experience is valid, but you've missed two points about this post.
1) your experience is not necessarily everyone else's, and
2) this thread is not about making a fix to d&d, necessary or otherwise.

I think this is a fantastic idea. I currently use the gritty realism and lingering injuries variants, but I wish I had thought of this when I started my current campaign. I'm totally using this next time.
Well if you do, let me know how it goes! I haven't run 5e game for a long time, but I have a tonne of ideas I'd like to test out sitting in the back of my brain.

It is an interesting idea.
...snip...
So, while I think this idea has some merits, I think it has a lot of potential pitfalls,
Yeah one of the difficulties of changing anything in d&d is how intertwined many little sub rules are. Temp HP is definitely on of them.

Why most of these things stay as a thought pastime for me is that once you tap into something so interlinked, you may as well write the system up from scratch.

Still I enjoy pondering possibilities.

This could be pretty cool. It would largely solve the yoyo healing thing everyone goes on about, might even make some fights more deadly because of it since it won't be easy to get people back up during the fight.
I think there'd be a few ways to do that, most simple of all is house rule that if someone drops to 0 they don't regain consciousness for 10 minutes or so.

In my experience however I've never really experienced the yoyo healing much, so it doesn't much concern me.

Yeah IMC magic only restores HP it doesnt mend wounds - so anyone who doesnt also get some First Aid skill will contiunue to bleed out or be infected or be dead from drowning.
Nice i like it.

One of the things I liked about dungeonworld was the good old mundane healers kit that could expend a use to gain healing. The caveat was it took a minute to administer.

I think combining some level of hp healing and wound healing like you've mentioned is my level of happy.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases